My first ole iron

Marty Walsh

Well, since Mini-Max doesn't make one, I had to get the next best thing...ole iron :dunno:

DSCN5643.jpg DSCN5645.jpg DSCN5650.jpg

It's a 14" Dewalt "GA" long arm saw. I'm not sure, but I think it's about a mid 60's vintage. Perhaps one of the aficiandos on here can let me know better.

It seems to be in pretty good shape, Runs smoothly, no slop on either the motor or arm bearings, travel is very smooth on the arm.

It needs a good cleaning, a new table top, definetly a new blade, and a new switch...the switch at the end of the arm died and the previous owner bypassed it with a contactor and regular light switch (visible to the lower right in the one picture).

Any info anyone cares to share with me about this saw would be appreciated...including where to get a new switch assembly.

Thanks...
- Marty -

P.S. Jeff, I thought I knew what that was in your avatar picture. Now I know for sure:DSCN5648.jpg

Wow Marty...I knew you were stretching the budget a bit building the new shop and all, but I didn't figure you were reduced to having to buy used tools. :rolleyes: You poor guy. :rofl:

Looks like a nice find, Marty. It looks similar to one I used quite a bit in high school shop class. It should make a nice addition to the mix.

Wow Marty...I knew you were stretching the budget a bit building the new shop and all, but I didn't figure you were reduced to having to buy used tools. :rolleyes: You poor guy. :rofl:

Looks like a nice find, Marty. It looks similar to one I used quite a bit in high school shop class. It should make a nice addition to the mix.

Vaughn,

No joke...I'm outta funds...so it's either used or none! :dunno:

But hey, I'm pretty sure this old saw will serve me well...:thumb:

- Marty -

Vaughn,

Here's another reason I went used. Original Saw, who is now producing the Dewalt Radial Arm saws, is awful proud of the new version of this saw. Have a look "here" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ole works for me... :rolleyes:
- Marty -

Vaughn,

Here's another reason I went used. Original Saw, who is now producing the Dewalt Radial Arm saws, is awful proud of the new version of this saw. Have a look "here" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ole works for me... :rolleyes:
- Marty -
Yep, I've read a bit about the Original Saw, and have been amazed by the price they charge. I was just doing a bit of chain yankin' about you buying used tools. ;) I'm sure you'll get just as good of cuts for a whole lot less money with yours. And before too long, it'll help produce some money itself, which I realize is at least part of the motivation for building the new shop in the first place. :)

Marty,
Does it say "Lancaster, PA"? If so, it was made a block away from my house! Just a bit of meaningless trivia.:D

Wes

Well, since Mini-Max doesn't make one, I had to get the next best thing...ole iron :dunno:

View attachment 3591 View attachment 3592 View attachment 3593

It's a 14" Dewalt "GA" long arm saw. I'm not sure, but I think it's about a mid 60's vintage. Perhaps one of the aficiandos on here can let me know better.

It seems to be in pretty good shape, Runs smoothly, no slop on either the motor or arm bearings, travel is very smooth on the arm.

It needs a good cleaning, a new table top, definetly a new blade, and a new switch...the switch at the end of the arm died and the previous owner bypassed it with a contactor and regular light switch (visible to the lower right in the one picture).

Any info anyone cares to share with me about this saw would be appreciated...including where to get a new switch assembly.

Thanks...
- Marty -

P.S. Jeff, I thought I knew what that was in your avatar picture. Now I know for sure:View attachment 3594

Marty, I have a newer version of that saw. Mine was in very good shape, except for the bearings which were a bit dry. I ended up ordering replacements from the original saw company. I ended up making mine into a dedicated cut-off station. I got the arm to a perfect 90 degrees with the 5 cut test and then locked down the column so that there is no play. Set this way I can't do angles or dados, but the 90s are perfect. I also added a Biesemeyer radial are fence system (they no longer sell the RAS version), that makes the RAS lengths as easy to set as the Biesemeyer TS fence. It would be easy to make something similar. My switch is in the end of the arm, is that where your's is? I think the Original Saw Company has all the parts.

Awesome saw. I paid $700 15 years ago. How much did you have to spend?..joe

Marty, I have a newer version of that saw. Mine was in very good shape, except for the bearings which were a bit dry. I ended up ordering replacements from the original saw company. I ended up making mine into a dedicated cut-off station. I got the arm to a perfect 90 degrees with the 5 cut test and then locked down the column so that there is no play. Set this way I can't do angles or dados, but the 90s are perfect. I also added a Biesemeyer radial are fence system (they no longer sell the RAS version), that makes the RAS lengths as easy to set as the Biesemeyer TS fence. It would be easy to make something similar. My switch is in the end of the arm, is that where your's is? I think the Original Saw Company has all the parts.

Joe,

I have the same thing in mind for this saw...a dedicated cut-off station set at a perfect 90 degrees!

I also plan to add infeed and outfeed tables, with a long fence with built-in tape measures and stops to allow me to make repeatable accurate cuts. (Not sure if that's what the Bies does...)

Yes, my switch is at the end of the arm. Well, the original, non-functioning one is. The current working one is mounted under the table, hung off a contactor on the power cord.

I suspected Original Saw might have parts. I've been to their web site, but can't find anything but instructions on finding the serial number. Do I then have to call their customer service? I was hoping to be able to browse through the parts catalog... :( )

Awesome saw. I paid $700 15 years ago. How much did you have to spend?..joe

I got a very good deal...I paid $250 (plus about $50 in gas to get there and back). A new blade and some elbow grease and I think I'll have a pretty good cutoff station... :thumb:

- Marty -

Hey Marty, that's a good find. In the early '70's a large Constr. co I was flying for switched over to new single phase Unisaws from the RAS's for their Jobsite Saw sheds, and I was told I could have all three (for FREE) that had not been sold and had been put in storage in their surplus shed. They looked just like yours and ranged from 8 to 10 yrs old (so....probably mid 60's too). Unfortunately they were all 3 phase, and I had to find a place to store them until I could work out the 3 phase problem. Finding storage took a couple of months since we were really busy and gone a lot at the time. I finally got ready to move them but when they unlocked the storage shed, they were all three gone, and no one ever 'fessed up to taking them. I was just SICK, as they were all well maintained and in excellent condition. (Never did find out who got them, which really made the Big Boss that had given them to me VERY Mad). You should get a lot of really good use from yours 'cause they were built tough.

Marty curious to know your reasoning in using RAS? I know most people have moved away from the RAS to miter saws or the compound slide saws. Also have a sliding table sa, like you do, solves alot of cutting problems a compound miter might not be able to handle. Just curious, I used to use a RAS for years.

Doug

Nice saw, those are good. I'm not familiar with the GA, but knew they had a GE.

There was also a 16" version, but even the 14" is a great saw!

I hope to get one someday myself...but use my SCMS (NWWM) quite a bit for the same work.

I got a very good deal...I paid $250 (plus about $50 in gas to get there and back). A new blade and some elbow grease and I think I'll have a pretty good cutoff station... :thumb:

- Marty -
Were you wearing your burgler outfit when you picked up that saw? I hope so, because I'm pretty sure you stole it for that price. Definitely makes for a cost effective cutoff saw.

Your gonna love that saw! As long as something is not worn out it you will find it a big asset in your shop. I love mine and use it all the time.

OK. As for the switch I would try original saw. Might sign up on the DeWalt RAS forum and ask. you might find one there. Once you take it apart and can see it, it might be repairable. If it will come apart it might just be burned contacts and they can be cleaned.

I suggest Wally Kunkles(sp?) book on the RAS. There is more than meets to eye to setting up a RAS properly and his book covers it well. Actually the manual covers it pretty well too. It takes some time to get it aligned in all the axises. As for the table, if yours had the same table as my GP then I would suggest you go back with that. It's a clever set up and you can adjust the table and make it very flat and level and it should stay that way.

One of things I dearly love about mine is the repeatability. If I move the arm from 90 and bring it back, it locks right back in place every time. It took some time to dial it all in and get the adjustments right, but I have no fear of changing it and it not coming back square.

Again, your gonna love that saw!

Marty curious to know your reasoning in using RAS? I know most people have moved away from the RAS to miter saws or the compound slide saws. Also have a sliding table sa, like you do, solves alot of cutting problems a compound miter might not be able to handle. Just curious, I used to use a RAS for years.

Doug

Doug,

I have a sliding miter saw (8 1/2" Hitachi). But I don't expect it to last much longer, since I've been pretty brutal to it during the shop construction. I'm also not thrilled with the crosscut capacity of the sliders. My new long arm radial arm saw can do up to 24"+ crosscuts.

Another option I'm considering is mounting a dado stack on it and making it a dedicated dado cutter.

Bottom line is that I just think a good radial arm saw provides more versatility than a miter saw.

And I just couldn't pass up the bargain I got on this one. :thumb:

- Marty -