Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I stold from curt Fuller

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

I stold from curt Fuller

here's the first bells i've ever turned.Not quite finished yet as they still need eye hooks,and i'm gonna put small bells in them like Curt did. one is cherry and the other i'll call hickory. bouth were turned out of 2x2 and are about 5 1/2" tall. need to stop at borg as don't know where the hooks are(again) I'll make more of these as they were fun little things to turn.
    Thanks and all comments welcome.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 007 [800x600].JPG   008 [800x600].JPG   009 [800x600].JPG  

Sweet
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I am so sorry but when I saw these I burst out laughing as I saw your name as bellringer.

Right back to a serious critique. Well turned, beautiful wood. They are very attractive pieces. Only fault (must find at least one) is perhaps if the bell section was slightly wider?

I do a lot of goblets which, thinking about it are really bells uspside down with a foot and yet I've never thought of doing these.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Sweet
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete MoncrieffJury View Post
    I am so sorry but when I saw these I burst out laughing as I saw your name as bellringer.

Right back to a serious critique. Well turned, beautiful wood. They are very attractive pieces. Only fault (must find at least one) is perhaps if the bell section was slightly wider?

I do a lot of goblets which, thinking about it are really bells uspside down with a foot and yet I've never thought of doing these.

Pete
    Pete according to some books i've looked at Bellinger means bell ringer in German.
    Next ones i make i'll try making the bell section slightly bigger.

Those are nice looking bells. If the handles were more delicate you wouldn't need to enlarge the bell then.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fine steal!!!!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Excellent Stephen!

I've never been able to find eye screws small enough. I just drill a small hole in the handle and use some light gauge wire for an eye. If you use very light wire you can bend it around a nail and crimp it, then stick the ends in the hole with a little glue.

Nicely done, Steve. Looks like you've been paying close attention to Curt's work. (It'd be hard to find a better bell turner to be inspired by.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Those are nice looking bells. If the handles were more delicate you wouldn't need to enlarge the bell then.
    I can do that looking at them in person the handles don't look as big as the pic makes them look here

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton View Post
    Fine steal!!!!
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Excellent Stephen!

I've never been able to find eye screws small enough. I just drill a small hole in the handle and use some light gauge wire for an eye. If you use very light wire you can bend it around a nail and crimp it, then stick the ends in the hole with a little glue.
    I have some light weight wire in the shop so i'll try that and see how it works. Just a dab of exposy maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Nicely done, Steve. Looks like you've been paying close attention to Curt's work. (It'd be hard to find a better bell turner to be inspired by.)
    That's kinda what i thought after looking at his latest post.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    I am not of the spinny pureswation but at a woodworker meeting a guy was turning tree ornamantes and he drilled a tiny hole in the end with the lathe tuning. Then he used a fish hook with the curve cut off and with the lathe on pushed it into the hole.