Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Buy for $20?

What Would You Buy for $20?

Over in another thread talking about a $10 discount on a $20 purchase at Woodcraft, new guy Joseph asked this question...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shaul View Post
    I'm new to woodworking. Assuming I have $10 ($20 post-discount), what do I buy?
    I thought about it for awhile, but didn't have a definitive answer. I figured it'd be a good spark to start an interesting conversation. What do you consider essential in the shop -- that can be had for $20 or less?

Here are a few thoughts to get the ball rolling. I'm going to say the suggestions don't necessarily have to involve purchasing from Woodcraft.

For $20 or less...

• A good tape measure or rule
    • A decent square
    • A couple pipe clamps
    • A case of pop (barley or otherwise) to bribe a woodworker into giving a little hands-on mentoring

Let's hear your ideas.

[Pushes the podium out to the middle of the room]
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Lets see.
    roll of blue tape
    glue
    sand paper
    brad gun (hf) i have 2 from hf and 1 senco.
    4 cans rattle can laquer
    My brain ain't woke up yet but i'm sure i could come up with a lot more.

Well, with a pair of vice grips, a multi-tip screwdriver, a roll of duct tape and some bailing wire, I can fix just about anything

....but that is not really wood working is it?

I think that the most useful tool in the shop is often knowledge and that comes with experience for the most part, but I do find good books of great value.

In know it would depend on what kind of woodworking you do, but for $20, you should be able to pick up a good book, used books would offer an even better deal, or, the Fine Woodworking online subscription is something to look into.....

You can choose to join on a monthly basis for only $4.99 per month and cancel at any time, or join for a one-year membership and save. A one-year membership to Finewoodworking.com is $34.95 for non-subscribers and only $14.95 for Fine Woodworking subscribers who have a paid, active subscription to the magazine.
    Otherwise, it would really depend on what tools you have now, and what you want to do for work.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

For me it would be a giant pencil eraser and a box of band-aids
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Although I assume this is prompted by the Woodcraft offer; a couple right to left tapes so you can use the tape and lay a mark "normally" (no slight to left-handers intended).

A.
    10' Tape R to L, 16ths
    06K15.01 $4.80

I bought these to go with them:

SS Cabinetmaker's Rule,
    set of 4 (24",18",12",6")
    06K20.50 $24.90 (a little high for this thread)

All reliably match and are used almost exclusively. Never knew how useful a saddle square was till I had one.

Veritas® Saddle Square
    05N56.01 $14.50

I'm not trying to push LV, they just happen to have a lot of nice stuff in that range.

At Woodcraft (as always, depending on what you do):

#142012 Little Wizard Metal Detector Sale: $9.99
    #147068 Forstner 7 Piece Bit Set Sale: $12.49
    #145481 4-in-1 Hand Rasp Sale: $5.99
    #144740 Kreg Mini Jig Kit Price: $21.99
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-03-2009 at 12:15 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

hmmm $20
    EZ Squeeze dust collection hose clamps $5.99 ea for the double model, going to need 2, so 12.00 there, add to that either the 4 in 1 hand rasp or the carver's rasp $5.99 ea leaving $2. so just to kick it over the top of $20 a pair of Fastcap magnifying Bifocal safety glasses of the appropriate diopter. (Laugh all you want you young folks who don't know from short arm disease yet) $6.99

so $25 or so, just a bit over the $20 mark, but not a bad haul for $20.

I also saw a rosewood 4" engineers square for $19.99

there are two router accessories for about $25, there are numerous similar priced items, bringing an item just outside of the coupon down to a reasonable amount of money (Not that it was unreasonable, but a discount helps... Period. )
    -Ned

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'll be getting myself some good triangles, and maybe those forstner bits.

Oh yeah, maybe a set of PALs if you have a contractor saw. Best $20 I ever spent when I had my contractor.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Are those el-cheapo forstner bits worth buying? From metalworking, I've learned there are two kinds of bits: Those you chuck after one use, and those you don't.

Incidentally, is this clamp durable enough I could mount it (if temporarily) on my drill press?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...le-Vise-4.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shaul View Post
    Are those el-cheapo forstner bits worth buying? From metalworking, I've learned there are two kinds of bits: Those you chuck after one use, and those you don't.

Incidentally, is this clamp durable enough I could mount it (if temporarily) on my drill press?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...le-Vise-4.aspx
    ok on the forstner bits, i have a set of CMT brand that are normally the same price as these were. and i wouldnt doubt that these were the same ones just differnt package.. and for 13 dollars i would buy them easily.. as for the clamp on the drill press i cant help you i have a small 4" machinest vise that just collects dust.. i clamp the stuff to thew table with normal clamps and that works for me.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!