Hall Butler

Bob Gibson

My wife stole my camera. She took it to school to take pictures of her kids and I just got it back. Sorry for the lack of photos.
I made this from plans in Wood magazine issue 178. It called for 1" thick oak but that was a little too expensive for me so I made it out of 1" pine. This is for my daughter.

I was a fun project to make. I got to use most of my tools on this. Mortiser, planer, jointer, bad saw, router table....
Lots of stub mortises. It made me real nervous cutting the small pieces on the TS.
I had my first accident ever on the TS. Really stupid on my part, just a seconds distraction. I ripped a 3' piece of 6" pine and after the cut i reached over the blade to get the cut piece, picked it up, got distracted and the end of the board hit the blade and kicked it back at me. it hit me just under the bicep area and felt like my arm got ripped off. After holding it and gathering up courage to look at the damage I just had a huge bruise. That was an eye opener for me. It made me consider adding the blade guard back on the TS.
Another disaster was the finish (I'll take a picture when I go to my daughters house tonight) I was real happy the way the build part of the project came out but I really screwed up on the finish. I used for the first time Minwax poly Shades stain and poly mix. It said to apply with a brush. Because of all the panels on the project brushing on the stain caused it to be uneven especially in the corners. After the first coat I sanded it all off and reapplied with a rag.
Another lesson learned.

PB150077 (600 x 450).jpg

PB150078 (600 x 450).jpg

PB150079 (600 x 450).jpg

Yep, good looking piece. I have had nothing but trouble with the poly shades so I stay away from them. Combining the stain and top coats just does not seem like a good idea unless you're very lazy.