View Poll Results: Would you be interested in the story i outlined in the thread

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes go for it could be interesting and enlightening

13 68.42%
  • No this is not the place and it will stir up trouble

1 5.26%
  • Not interested in anything other than woodworking

2 10.53%
  • Appreciate the idea but take it elsewhere.

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in Invictus the movie

Anyone interested in Invictus the movie

Well i thought i would try something a little different today with our forum.

In stead of posting about a topic i thought i would solicit feedback as to whether i should post something and your collective thoughts.

The movie Invictus is about to be released from what i hear its due 11 Dec. Its a human interest story about Rugby in South Africa. Yeah i know it aint football but what the heck after my team disappointed me on Monday night I pretty much lost interest in the NFL this year except to say i think its one of three teams in the superbowl this year. Vikings, Colts and Saints. Ok after that bait this post will be ablaze.

Anyhow to get back to Invictus i would like to shed some light on the movie for those of my wwing buddies that frequent this forum that are interested in more than wood in life and share more than wwing with their friends.

This topic has a degree of political intrigue to it but its not democrat or republican based or even left and right based. Its a story about South Africa. Make a difference for a change to the current news.

Well as a teaser i tell you i was a partner in a business that was the franchisee for the Rugby World Cup 1995.
    Yup I would like to share the story for the following reasons.

1) Business aspect to hopefully encourage our brethren in wwing that wish or are trying to make a living at it to succeed.
    2) To provide you my wwing buddies with a little more understanding of my background.
    3) To give you a first hand account so that when those of us that are interested, see the movie, we have it on first hand what it was like to be soaked up in the atmosphere of the best day of my life.
    4) Perhaps some food for thought for all of us in todays times to foster better tolerance in the world among us all.

I have to warn you that this story is emotional. Hey all human interest stories are so be prepared.

But unlike the movie my story will not have the hollywood version. It will be real life and views from both sides that maybe you aint ever heard before due to the media.

Well what do you guys say can we live with a story from another planet cause that what it seems like when you live in this neck of the woods.

Any interest??? What say the mods???? Did not consult them first just putting it out there.

To do this democratically I will put up a poll.
    cheers

I am not going to watch the movie because I:
    Dislike american football or Rugby
    Hate Politics
    From the movie trailor, Morgan freeman was not a convincing Mandela.

On the other hand, I would be interested in your story.

I've watched the trailers a couple of times... it does look like a good movie.. I know nothing about Rugby, but the movie does have a couple of favorite actors.. I pretty much like anything Morgan Freeman is in.. First time I saw him to notice him was in Shawshank Redemption. And have been a fan of Matt Damon since his first movie.

Definitely would be interested in the story.

BTW, Looking to see Peyton in the SB
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

If you happened to live those events I'd like to know how does your experience of them match the movie or not.

On the other hand, I fear this movie being some sort of remake of those football movies, like the one where germans played against allies prisoners, or the other one of common delinquents against jail wardens.

Being Clint Eastwood the director makes me think it won't but I will have to wait until I see it to find out.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Sounds like an intriguing story. I'd like to hear it told from your viewpiont.

I recognize ther are some who'd rather not see it here, bit as I see it, that's what the Off Topic forum is for. Those who don't want to read it can just avoid clicking on the link.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I too think it would be interesting to hear an un-hollywood-ized version of the story.

Vaughn's correct - till it get's CRAZY POLITICAL it seems to be fair game here in OT.

Go for it.

Jim

Well thanks to all who voted. Out of respect for those that preferred i tell it elsewhere I have decided i will set up a paid domain name and a private blog to tell my story. That way i will not be subject to any censorship or rules ( yup even google has rules and here i thought it was about free speech) and it will be up to the individual to decide whether they want to be exposed to something that could possibly affect their own view of the world.

I thought this would be a good experiment to try out an off topic post with first obtaining permission but i realize that many are here stictly for the wwing and some judging by the number of views there were of the post, were too chicken to vote and be counted unless they were the many lurkers, well seems it did not even draw out a new member. Ah well another day....

I dont get what the purpose is of the off topic section and i find it very difficult to imagine befriending someone in segments.

How do you do it. Hey you invite this buddy round to your place for a BBQ and say "you are my BBQ buddy, dont go talking cars on me cause i aint listening and dont care about your ride" Then next day you meet up with your car buddy and talk cars and he says hey wanna come to my BBQ next week and you say "Nah sorry I have a BBQ buddy already.

Interesting concept not for me.

Guess most have a Hollywood Story buddy already Eh!
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    BTW, Looking to see Peyton in the SB
    be great if he played against his little brother.

rob, Id find it interesting, although not interested in seeing the movie, but events through someones eyes, I just dont believe too many of the movies Ive seen that supposedly are based on true events.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rob,
    I've been on the fence on this since you posted. One part wants to hear yur side of it and the other wants to avoid any infighting on the forum. I have been leaning towards voting for it and the majority seems to be leaning that way so I think you should reconsider your decision.

JMHO
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Rob, I think your idea of doing it up as a separate site/blog post is a good one. That way you wouldn't need to pull any political punches, and people who are truly interested in it can still see it easily.

I also agree with you that an OT area helps people know each other and their interests outside of woodworking.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com