Anyone interested in Invictus the movie

Would you be interested in the story i outlined in the thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Keeble

Well i thought i would try something a little different today with our forum.

In stead of posting about a topic i thought i would solicit feedback as to whether i should post something and your collective thoughts.

The movie Invictus is about to be released from what i hear its due 11 Dec. Its a human interest story about Rugby in South Africa. Yeah i know it aint football but what the heck after my team disappointed me on Monday night I pretty much lost interest in the NFL this year except to say i think its one of three teams in the superbowl this year. Vikings, Colts and Saints. Ok after that bait this post will be ablaze.

Anyhow to get back to Invictus i would like to shed some light on the movie for those of my wwing buddies that frequent this forum that are interested in more than wood in life and share more than wwing with their friends.

This topic has a degree of political intrigue to it but its not democrat or republican based or even left and right based. Its a story about South Africa. Make a difference for a change to the current news.

Well as a teaser i tell you i was a partner in a business that was the franchisee for the Rugby World Cup 1995.
Yup I would like to share the story for the following reasons.

1) Business aspect to hopefully encourage our brethren in wwing that wish or are trying to make a living at it to succeed.
2) To provide you my wwing buddies with a little more understanding of my background.
3) To give you a first hand account so that when those of us that are interested, see the movie, we have it on first hand what it was like to be soaked up in the atmosphere of the best day of my life.:D
4) Perhaps some food for thought for all of us in todays times to foster better tolerance in the world among us all.

I have to warn you that this story is emotional. Hey all human interest stories are so be prepared.

But unlike the movie my story will not have the hollywood version. It will be real life and views from both sides that maybe you aint ever heard before due to the media.

Well what do you guys say can we live with a story from another planet cause that what it seems like when you live in this neck of the woods.

Any interest??? What say the mods???? Did not consult them first just putting it out there.:wave::)

To do this democratically I will put up a poll.

I am not going to watch the movie because I:
Dislike american football or Rugby
Hate Politics
From the movie trailor, Morgan freeman was not a convincing Mandela.

On the other hand, I would be interested in your story.

I've watched the trailers a couple of times... it does look like a good movie.. I know nothing about Rugby, but the movie does have a couple of favorite actors.. I pretty much like anything Morgan Freeman is in.. First time I saw him to notice him was in Shawshank Redemption. And have been a fan of Matt Damon since his first movie.

Definitely would be interested in the story.

BTW, Looking to see Peyton in the SB

If you happened to live those events I'd like to know how does your experience of them match the movie or not.

On the other hand, I fear this movie being some sort of remake of those football movies, like the one where germans played against allies prisoners, or the other one of common delinquents against jail wardens.

Being Clint Eastwood the director makes me think it won't but I will have to wait until I see it to find out.

Sounds like an intriguing story. I'd like to hear it told from your viewpiont.

I recognize ther are some who'd rather not see it here, bit as I see it, that's what the Off Topic forum is for. Those who don't want to read it can just avoid clicking on the link. ;)

I too think it would be interesting to hear an un-hollywood-ized version of the story.

Vaughn's correct - till it get's CRAZY POLITICAL it seems to be fair game here in OT.

Go for it.

Jim

Well thanks to all who voted. Out of respect for those that preferred i tell it elsewhere I have decided i will set up a paid domain name and a private blog to tell my story. That way i will not be subject to any censorship or rules ( yup even google has rules and here i thought it was about free speech) and it will be up to the individual to decide whether they want to be exposed to something that could possibly affect their own view of the world.

I thought this would be a good experiment to try out an off topic post with first obtaining permission but i realize that many are here stictly for the wwing and some judging by the number of views there were of the post, were too chicken to vote and be counted unless they were the many lurkers, well seems it did not even draw out a new member.:D:rofl: Ah well another day....

I dont get what the purpose is of the off topic section and i find it very difficult to imagine befriending someone in segments.

How do you do it. Hey you invite this buddy round to your place for a BBQ and say "you are my BBQ buddy, dont go talking cars on me cause i aint listening and dont care about your ride" Then next day you meet up with your car buddy and talk cars and he says hey wanna come to my BBQ next week and you say "Nah sorry I have a BBQ buddy already.

Interesting concept not for me.

Guess most have a Hollywood Story buddy already Eh!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rob,
I've been on the fence on this since you posted. One part wants to hear yur side of it and the other wants to avoid any infighting on the forum. I have been leaning towards voting for it and the majority seems to be leaning that way so I think you should reconsider your decision.

JMHO

Rob, I think your idea of doing it up as a separate site/blog post is a good one. That way you wouldn't need to pull any political punches, and people who are truly interested in it can still see it easily.

I also agree with you that an OT area helps people know each other and their interests outside of woodworking. ;)

just a darned shame...

i cleaned that up just a bit (not to offend any exceedingly thin skinned folks), and i do feel a bit bad about that. tis a shame on all of us that rob has to reconsider telling a tale(to avoid offending any of those exceedingly thin skinned folks), of things that happened when he was still in south africa. but, there might be something political!:eek: (sure and that would set off the exceedingly thin skinned folks). to me this reeks of political correctness, which is one of the worst things inflicted on humanity. why should the overwhelming majority of civilized humanity tiptoe as if on egg shells, in order not to offend (you guessed it, those exceedingly thin skinned folks). nowadays, when my brother tunes up the 56, he would have to either advance, or developmentally disable his timing (those exceedingly thin skinned folks have said it's not good to say retard these days). so rob, go ahead and tell your tale, i'd like to hear it, unvarnished.

Rob, and all. I have always been interested in "the real story" in what happens in the world. It is important IMHO, to recognize that everything we take into our minds is colored by our own experience. It is impossible to eliminate all bias from ourselves because we are emotional beings. There are philosophers and psychologists who have devoted considerable study to this area of thinking.

The other take on this is a question about how things are reported. I have been interviewed by the press before and was disgusted with how much distortion was purposely injected into what I had allegedly said. So we the “unsuspecting” public are subjected to distortion and hidden agendas by those that wish to shape society in their particular image.

With those qualifiers in place, I would be really interested in what you have to relate. History has always fascinated me and I have always wondered about what the world would look like if we saw all things in the stark light of simple truth. The Hollywood version is directed at producing profits through emotional highs or lows, and I doubt, faithful to the real story that often. I usually hold to that saying that "history is far more interesting than fiction". I'm sure that some producers really try to 'get it right' and I respect them for this, all the while acknowledging that I have no real clue at what is really true.

one fine example of movieisum is the blind side movie.. the football player said that the movie depicted him as not know how to play football, when in reality he had played since he was 8 yrs old.. i am sure that other true stories are that way in the movies as well. we are told what they want us to see and hear.

I don't usually comment on this type of thing, but I am concerned about limiting oneself because it "might" get out of the established parameters.

If everyone decided not to post because it "might" offend someone, then there would be no need for a OT area.

I say, if it is not a obvious rule breaker, then test the waters and see how it goes. The mods are here to keep things in line and will provide guidence. The exercise will help clarify the next poster with questions about what might happen.

Thanks to the moderators!

Wether you tell it here or somewhere else Rob, I'm still interested in knowing your story.

South africa and all what happened and happens there is almost unknown for the rest of the world.

Most problably, many people will only know that boer war existed, remember the Soweto riots, and Nelson Mandela. The diamond mines and the skeleton coast at the most.

Rob, I read through this thread today. Originally I read the title and thought you were looking for folks to talk about the movie and their "take" on it. Since I don't go to the movies and only watch the ones my wife and kids buy on the $5.00 rack at WalMart, I must confess I watch "out of date" movies! Anyway, you are a bud of mine, regardless you want to talk cars, trucks, horses, guns, Larry :eek:, or South Africa. I cannot do more than ask dumb questions as I am ignorant of many things that happen in the US let alone elsewhere. I would enjoy reading your true story and know that I can ask the author himself any questions I have while reading. Go for it.

Rob, I read through this thread today. Originally I read the title and thought you were looking for folks to talk about the movie and their "take" on it. Since I don't go to the movies and only watch the ones my wife and kids buy on the $5.00 rack at WalMart, I must confess I watch "out of date" movies! Anyway, you are a bud of mine, regardless you want to talk cars, trucks, horses, guns, Larry :eek:, or South Africa. I cannot do more than ask dumb questions as I am ignorant of many things that happen in the US let alone elsewhere. I would enjoy reading your true story and know that I can ask the author himself any questions I have while reading. Go for it.

jon if he starts talkun larry:eek::eek::eek: you better get a box full of tator chips and plenty to drink.. its gonna be a long night:)

Hey guys as i have said this post was a little bit of an experiement on my part.

I do think there are issues that have come up in the course of it that warrant futher discussion. But that aint my intention here.

Cheers Rob

I will advise those interested when i have my blog page setup.