Making a Veneer Compass Rose

A while back I made a veneered tray with a compass rose decorative element (see picture). I posted a picture of it on a different forum and several people asked me how to make the compass rose. To answer that question, I wrote up a tutorial and posted a link to it. I have a limit on bandwidth on my web site and the accesses quickly exceeded my limit. I contacted Wiktor Kuc and he agreed to put it on his site www.wkfinetools.com.

Many of you may already know how to make a compass rose, but for those who would like some directions, take a look at Wiktor's site.

Just FYI.

Mike

Attachments

• Elliptical tray 006a (800 x 351).jpg
    Elliptical tray 006a (800 x 351).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Elliptical tray 009a (750 x 487).jpg
    Elliptical tray 009a (750 x 487).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Elliptical tray 012a (750 x 524).jpg
    Elliptical tray 012a (750 x 524).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 8
Mike,

Thanks for the tutorial! Veneer work is one of the things I want to tackle this year. Do you have any recommendations for books that would do a good job of covering the basics and prep work?

Ed

Mike,

Thanks for the tutorial! Veneer work is one of the things I want to tackle this year. Do you have any recommendations for books that would do a good job of covering the basics and prep work?

Ed
Paul Schurch has a video and book that is very good for learning the basics. His web site is http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/. Look in the "education" section. A book that's okay - not great but okay - is "Veneering - A Foundation Course" by Mike Burton.

Of the two, Schurch's book and DVD is more expensive but better.

Mike

Regarding learning veneer work, the very best way is to work with someone who is experienced and good at it. There's no substitute for having someone demonstrate what to do and to show you how when you make mistakes. If there's a school in your area that offers a course in veneer work, I highly recommend taking it.

Mike

Regarding learning veneer work, the very best way is to work with someone who is experienced and good at it. There's no substitute for having someone demonstrate what to do and to show you how when you make mistakes. If there's a school in your area that offers a course in veneer work, I highly recommend taking it.

Mike

great advice mike! i`ve tought myself at the cost of countless hours and hundreds of sf of wasted veneer.....if i ever get a chance to actually study under an expert i`ll not pass it up....but the likelyhood of somebody comming to the sticks to hold either veneer or marquetry symposiums is pretty slim:eek: ....pretty tray! tod