Quick-release router table?

Joseph Shaul

I recently bought myself a router, and am interested in using it as part of a router. However, most router tables permanently affix the router to the mounting plate. Does anyone know of a DIY quick-release system for one of these?

Incidentally, having just spent way too much money on some fancy carbide hole saws, I'll be making the mounting plate myself out of a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum.

Joseph, I haven't seen a quick-release setup for a router plate, but on mine, there are only four screws holding the router to the plate. In about 2 minutes I can remove a router from the plate and install the factory baseplate. The baseplate itself is held on the router table with only friction. It lifts right off when necessary.

Most folks just pick up a second fixed base. What type of router is it? Maybe someone has an extra they'd let go cheap(?).

Most folks just pick up a second fixed base. What type of router is it? Maybe someone has an extra they'd let go cheap(?).

An el-cheapo Bosch plunge router I picked up for $27 on eBay. From what I understand, most plunge routers require some sort of clamp to hold them in place so that they can be used with a table; removing this clamp is time consuming (if possible at all!)

Simple, just leave it attached.

Since I really don't use a router out of the table anymore, its always attached to the mounting plate. When I do have to use the router out of the table I just use it with the plate attached. It gives you a larger surface for the router to sit on and its less likely to tip. The mounting plate is just like a large baseplate.

I got one of these for my Porter Cable 890 router. Can take it out of the router lift and back into it's base in less than 45 seconds.

145372_230.jpg

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005029/3006/JessEm-Rout-R-Lift-FX.aspx

JEFF:D