Birdseyes and Dovetails

Steve Ash

My wife gave me a Porter Cable dovetail jig for Christmas, the first thing I made using it, is a gift to her. I thought she would use it to put her quilting accesories in....but after she saw it she was thinking a place for her jewelry...we'll see.

This whole project didn't take a lot of time and gave me a chance to do something with dovetails and glue ups. Karl Laustrup sent me a book a while ago that had a bunch of neat ideas on how to make attractive boxes and one of the things was gluing up assorted woods into the top. This was also a first for me as well as making the handles, which are made out of walnut.I thought the handles should line up with the "stripes" of the assorted woods and give a visual balance. Brass piano hinged used on the backside.

Woods used are Birdseye Maple, Cherry, Walnut.....and of course Ash.:)

Sanded to 220 grit and ready for a couple of coats of pre-catalyzed laquer sprayed on tomorrow.

Attachments

• 100_3098.jpg
    100_3098.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_3100.jpg
    100_3100.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_3101.jpg
    100_3101.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_3102.jpg
    100_3102.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
WOW! That is a really nice looking box. :thumb: Good selection of wood also.

Now how about going for that one I had marked in the book? Looks like you could handle that with out any problem and I'm sure Judy would like somewhere to hang her necklaces.

Don't need the book back yet. It's gonna be a while before I get to try anything in there.

Karl

nice rectangle

that looks great steve,,your gaining points in a hurry now. wont be long and you be having a bran new shop full of tools. your gonna make vaughn nervous now with his superb cuttin boards. let me know how that pre cat goes.

Looks real nice, Steve. The top reminds me of a lot of the cutting boards I've sold. You came up with a nice pattern. :thumb:

Thanks fellas,
the compliments are much appreciated.

Karl, I don't think I'm gonna tackle that project for a while, I'll sit back and watch you first.

Vaughn, I was thinking of you and your work while I was doing the glue up.

Didn't get the pre-cat laquer on yet, I brought it up to the house the other night and the lid cupped a bit. I returned the box to the shop yesterday morning and I noticed that this morning the cup had gone away....might get some pre cat on today.....hopefully.

Steve

Nice work! I'm sure she'll love it.

What was the title of the book? Always looking for inspiration.

Jay

Jay, the book was titled "Creating Beautiful Boxes with Inlay Techniques" ...Doug Stowe.

I didn't do a inlay, I just used the picture in the book to get ideas.

Jerry, yes it is the Porter cable 4212 dovetail jig.