drilling a 14" hole with a 10" drill

Actually, I did consider using tenons to chuck up on the lathe then drill as much as possible, finishing with the hand held. But, I don't like wasting wood and opted to go hand held all the way. Nebber again. First one is a learning curve.
Bernie's method is simple, I like simple. :)

Frank, why not go for the standard wood lathe method of drilling through the tailstock hollow centre with an auger or long shanked drill? if the lamp stem is longer than the auger then you just reverse the stem between the centres using a stub guide in the headstock end centre.

Just an idea, but to straighten out the hole, could you take a piece of threaded rod and use it like a long file? It'd take a while, but ready rod is cheap. It wouldn't make it perfect either but it'd get you closer.

Frank, why not go for the standard wood lathe method of drilling through the tailstock hollow centre with an auger or long shanked drill? if the lamp stem is longer than the auger then you just reverse the stem between the centres using a stub guide in the headstock end centre.

Good question Charles.
Because:
1: I never thought of it. :rolleyes:
2: My smallest (long) auger is 1/2" and dull.
3: I can't stand at the tail end of my lathe because someone put a set of shelves and a pile wood there. ;)

Frank I probably would have chucked it up but I bought a cheap Jacobs chuck and the way it is made it will move. Don't remember where I bought it but has like a 3/8" all thread from the chuck to the MT. It does move. I have new one on the way that is solid all the way thru to the MT. Sometimes cheap is not good.

Frank, If you have enough diameter to the lamp blank why can't you drill the crooked section out to something like 1" with a forstner bit, glue in a dowel and re-drill using a spoon drill, or the spade bit from the other end?

Frank, If you have enough diameter to the lamp blank why can't you drill the crooked section out to something like 1" with a forstner bit, glue in a dowel and re-drill using a spoon drill, or the spade bit from the other end?

That's been thunk of. But, I'll just go with a short pipe section at the top, string wire through the wood and forget about the crookedy part. Future lamps will be done differently.
Next one will be a sorta outdoorsy theme for my daughter-in-law to use at their lake house. Might be driftwood, might not even have any turning on it. :eek:

I have a set of electricians bits from Harbor Freight. They are about 18" long with flutes back about 8" from the point. They have worked fairly well for similar jobs. A little slow, but they got the job done. Think they were about $10 about 10 years ago.

Split the blank down the middle, then rout a half circle (core box bit) down the center of both pieces, and glue them back together. Turn to whatever shape you want. If you do a good glue job, you'll never see the joint after turning and finishing.

wooden ye know....

I was in Wal-Mart this a.m. In the hardware isle I noticed a new display of lamp parts being put up. They NOW have everything one would need to make lamps....except, threaded rod. Dunno why not. :dunno:
And, their prices are much lower than what I can get them for on-line. So, all I need is a stash of threaded rod and I can make lamps whenever the urge hits.
BTW, tomorrow I should have time to finish the one I'm working on.

I was in Wal-Mart this a.m. In the hardware isle I noticed a new display of lamp parts being put up. They NOW have everything one would need to make lamps....except, threaded rod. Dunno why not. :dunno: ...

Uh, maybe because most lamp designs don't call for a long threaded rod. All of the designs I've seen have a short segment at the top and nothing at the bottom. The wire just runs through a channel drilled or built into the assembly. ;)

Uh, maybe because most lamp designs don't call for a long threaded rod. All of the designs I've seen have a short segment at the top and nothing at the bottom. The wire just runs through a channel drilled or built into the assembly. ;)

Makes sense. They were busy putting the stuff up. Next time I'm there, I'll look more closely at their offerings.