Thread: Risers

Risers

I saw this in Wood Magazine issue 139. It looked interesting as I do a lot of assembly on my bench top. Also many times I need to lift up the cabinet onto 4x4s so as to get room for my clamps on both sides of the cabinet at the same time. It only took a couple of hours to build and it will be a very usefull item in the shop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Risers.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	39890
    You can clamp in many different spots on the risers, I made mine the same size as my bench so as to be able to clamp them easly to my bench top.

Name:	Risers with  clamps 1.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	39892
    It is easy to use square ups in the corners as well.

Name:	Risers with clamps 2.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	39891
    The artical called for useing lengths of plywood for the spacers, I chose to use up a lot of scrap plywood instead, gets ride of a lot of small pieces and does not change the way they work.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

Good idea. One thing that occurred to me is the problem of gluing the project to the riser from glue squeeze out. Do you put something on the riser to keep glue from sticking to it?

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The article in Wood Issue 193 doesn't mention a finish. I've used several coats of shellac or lacquer followed by Johnson's Wax to prevent glue problems on benchtops and jigs.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I saw those too Bill and thought they would come in handy.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Good idea. One thing that occurred to me is the problem of gluing the project to the riser from glue squeeze out. Do you put something on the riser to keep glue from sticking to it?

Mike
    Mike I put a coat of BLO onthem and then 2 coats of clear shellac followed by several coats of Briwax. Squeeze out should be minimal as most of the time pieces are over hanging risers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    The article in Wood Issue 193 doesn't mention a finish. I've used several coats of shellac or lacquer followed by Johnson's Wax to prevent glue problems on benchtops and jigs.
    Glad you mentioned about the finnish I had forgotten to put that in my post. Very good point,as you could end up with a cabinet/riser when finished.

Thanks Ron.
    Just wrote down those on my "to do list"
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...