Risers

Ron Roase

I saw this in Wood Magazine issue 139. It looked interesting as I do a lot of assembly on my bench top. Also many times I need to lift up the cabinet onto 4x4s so as to get room for my clamps on both sides of the cabinet at the same time. It only took a couple of hours to build and it will be a very usefull item in the shop.
Risers.JPG
You can clamp in many different spots on the risers, I made mine the same size as my bench so as to be able to clamp them easly to my bench top.
Risers with  clamps 1.JPG
It is easy to use square ups in the corners as well.
Risers with clamps 2.JPG :D :thumb:
The artical called for useing lengths of plywood for the spacers, I chose to use up a lot of scrap plywood instead, gets ride of a lot of small pieces and does not change the way they work.:thumb::wave:

Good idea. One thing that occurred to me is the problem of gluing the project to the riser from glue squeeze out. Do you put something on the riser to keep glue from sticking to it?

Mike

The article in Wood Issue 193 doesn't mention a finish. I've used several coats of shellac or lacquer followed by Johnson's Wax to prevent glue problems on benchtops and jigs.

Good idea. One thing that occurred to me is the problem of gluing the project to the riser from glue squeeze out. Do you put something on the riser to keep glue from sticking to it?

Mike

Mike I put a coat of BLO onthem and then 2 coats of clear shellac followed by several coats of Briwax. Squeeze out should be minimal as most of the time pieces are over hanging risers.:D

The article in Wood Issue 193 doesn't mention a finish. I've used several coats of shellac or lacquer followed by Johnson's Wax to prevent glue problems on benchtops and jigs.

Glad you mentioned about the finnish I had forgotten to put that in my post. Very good point,as you could end up with a cabinet/riser when finished.:D