Thread: Planer Sled In Use

Planer Sled In Use

Planer Sleds come up now and again. I had a cause to use mine today so thought I'd post. I got some construction lumber that had been left out in the weather. Its ugly, but free. The boards were too thick to go through on the sled so I had to take about 1/8" off before I could start:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Planer Sled prep board.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	39931

Here's the planer sled down off the lumber rack (where he sleeps till needed):

Name:	2-Planer Sled Ready.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	39932

Here's a close up of the adjusting wedges. The screw is just finger tightened to make sure nothing is released into the wild whilst passing through the planer:

Name:	3-Planer Sled Adjust.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	39933

I rub chalk on the surface to check progress:

Name:	4-Planer Sled chalk.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	39934

Got it all in one run (this almost never happens):

Name:	5-Planer Sled chalk gone.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	39935

Put the sled away, flip the board and plane the other side to make the faces parallel, a few swipes on the jointer and I have some free lumber that can be milled into various boards for prototypes or other odd jobs:

Name:	6-Planer Sled quick jointing.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	39936

Pardon the "ugly wall" in the background. that's the one I'm going to repair, paint, cleat and organize any day now . . . . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-05-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Definitely a handy jig to have. I have a feeling I might be making a shorter one someday. my current one is 8' long, and a little unwieldy...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Any free or reclaimed wood that can be put to a good use, even if some of it has to be lost in the process is a good thing to do.

Thanks for the post Glenn, now you've got some raw material to make next year's Christmas presents

BTW that is a darn well made sled.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Great timing !!
    I was just looking for some ideas for this. I have one board that is slightly cupped that I needed to use today
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Great timing !!
    I was just looking for some ideas for this. I have one board that is slightly cupped that I needed to use today
    I was hoping this would help someone out. Here's my thread from 2007 making it. There is a link to Keith Rust's FWW mag article in it as well: http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ead.php?t=3978
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I wanted to confirm the utility of this jig for those of us that are jointer challenged. Here are before and after pics of a maple board.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Pardon the "ugly wall" in the background. that's the one I'm going to repair, paint, cleat and organize any day now . . . . .
    Glenn thanks for the great post. I enjoy everything you post its so helpful and motivating to me. But i had to have a good when i saw you say "UGLY WALL" and "Organize" at the end ofyour post. I was just looking at the wall and thinking "Gee Glenn is so organized i really got to get round to doing something like that with my stuff" Then i see this post at the end and I think thank goodness Glenn aint coming to visit.YET. What would he think of my mess if that wall aint organized in his words.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hutchinson View Post
    I wanted to confirm the utility of this jig for those of us that are jointer challenged. Here are before and after pics of a maple board.

William i am sorry but your post lost it for me when i saw the wood. I could not take my eyes off the wood to read your comment. Great application but unreal wood. Where did you get that piece? What you using it for? You holding out on us with some beauty of a project?
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    William i am sorry but your post lost it for me when i saw the wood. I could not take my eyes off the wood to read your comment. Great application but unreal wood. Where did you get that piece? What you using it for? You holding out on us with some beauty of a project?
    Rob,

The spalted maple was obtained from a local sawyer at $1.00bf. I just happened to be there when he was unloading his kiln and got a "few" feet.

That board was used in this piece. It was ordered by an individual to contain knitting paraphernalia. The stand is walnut.

My current project is a modified Shaker wall clock. The back lower panel is bookmatched spalted maple.

Last edited by William Hutchinson; 01-29-2010 at 05:56 PM.