Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joined at the hip....well the ring

Joined at the hip....well the ring

Asked to make a pir of my wedding goblets as a Christmas present for a couple who have been marrried for some timwe I decided to have a bit of fun while at it. The Goblets are 10" tall, 2! dia at the top and made of Bubinga. I was given a spindle by someone who was giving up turning through age and healtth.

They both have the normal 2 captive rings on each stem but I made a third bigger one joining the two goblets together. As they will need to break it to use them I haven't finished it properly, just aquick coat of sealer to make it the same colour. The goblets are finished in Melamine to 'wine proof' and being a dark red should be OK for red wine as well which stains badly through anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LA goblets.jpg   LA goblets 2.jpg  

Those are beauties Pete. Really cool hooked together.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful goblets and a neat idea to join them.

Pete : this is very pretty , and what a great present too . They will love them ........
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Pete turn them up side down and you'll have two bells.Just kidding ofcorse. really nice set of goblets, and i'm still trying to figure out how ya done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Pete turn them up side down and you'll have two bells.Just kidding ofcorse. really nice set of goblets, and i'm still trying to figure out how ya done it.
    Oh come on I thought everyone knew this trick?

At someone's suggestion on another forum I am thinking of adding a ball and chain but can't make my mind up whether it should go on his or hers

Thanks for the comments everyone. I hope the buyer likes them as much

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete MoncrieffJury View Post
    Oh come on I thought everyone knew this trick?

At someone's suggestion on another forum I am thinking of adding a ball and chain but can't make my mind up whether it should go on his or hers

Thanks for the comments everyone. I hope the buyer likes them as much

Pete
    not me as i'm still a rookie. i think you might as well put it on his as that's the way it is over here.

Sorry...Captive rings are made by cutting the stem part way and then making the ring. You turn the wood to the outside diameter of the ring and shape it. You then cut under from both sides until the ring is released onto the stem. Fix some abrasive (sticky back is ideal) on the stem then, running the lathe, you can clean up the inside of the ring. In this case I made two small ones that stay on the stem. The third was made and sanded lthe same way but larger and then cracked across the grain so the join wouldn't show, threaded through two of the rings, one on each goblet, glued back together with CA glue and sanded back to hide the join. You can get a tool to do the rings or, if you are clever it can be done with a skew. (I have the tool as it's quicker, easier and I do a fair few of these as wedding goblets for the Bride and Groom to do the toasts.)

Hope that explains it. If not have a look here

pete

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    THanks Pete, I knew how the rings were done but the 5th ring had me puzzled.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Pete MoncrieffJury View Post
    Sorry...Captive rings are made by cutting the stem part way and then making the ring. You turn the wood to the outside diameter of the ring and shape it. You then cut under from both sides until the ring is released onto the stem. Fix some abrasive (sticky back is ideal) on the stem then, running the lathe, you can clean up the inside of the ring. In this case I made two small ones that stay on the stem. The third was made and sanded lthe same way but larger and then cracked across the grain so the join wouldn't show, threaded through two of the rings, one on each goblet, glued back together with CA glue and sanded back to hide the join. You can get a tool to do the rings or, if you are clever it can be done with a skew. (I have the tool as it's quicker, easier and I do a fair few of these as wedding goblets for the Bride and Groom to do the toasts.)

Hope that explains it. If not have a look here

pete
    Pete had a idea how the rings on the stems were done. Just coun't figure out how you got the one to hold the two together. thanks now i think i got it.