Joined at the hip....well the ring

Asked to make a pir of my wedding goblets as a Christmas present for a couple who have been marrried for some timwe I decided to have a bit of fun while at it. The Goblets are 10" tall, 2! dia at the top and made of Bubinga. I was given a spindle by someone who was giving up turning through age and healtth.

They both have the normal 2 captive rings on each stem but I made a third bigger one joining the two goblets together. As they will need to break it to use them I haven't finished it properly, just aquick coat of sealer to make it the same colour. The goblets are finished in Melamine to 'wine proof' and being a dark red should be OK for red wine as well which stains badly through anything.

Attachments

• LA goblets.jpg
    LA goblets.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 94
  • LA goblets 2.jpg
    LA goblets 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 75
Pete turn them up side down and you'll have two bells.:rofl:Just kidding ofcorse. really nice set of goblets, and i'm still trying to figure out how ya done it.:thumb:

Oh come on I thought everyone knew this trick?

At someone's suggestion on another forum I am thinking of adding a ball and chain but can't make my mind up whether it should go on his or hers :rofl:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I hope the buyer likes them as much

Pete

Oh come on I thought everyone knew this trick?

At someone's suggestion on another forum I am thinking of adding a ball and chain but can't make my mind up whether it should go on his or hers :rofl:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I hope the buyer likes them as much

Pete

not me as i'm still a rookie. i think you might as well put it on his as that's the way it is over here.:rofl:

Sorry...Captive rings are made by cutting the stem part way and then making the ring. You turn the wood to the outside diameter of the ring and shape it. You then cut under from both sides until the ring is released onto the stem. Fix some abrasive (sticky back is ideal) on the stem then, running the lathe, you can clean up the inside of the ring. In this case I made two small ones that stay on the stem. The third was made and sanded lthe same way but larger and then cracked across the grain so the join wouldn't show, threaded through two of the rings, one on each goblet, glued back together with CA glue and sanded back to hide the join. You can get a tool to do the rings or, if you are clever it can be done with a skew. (I have the tool as it's quicker, easier and I do a fair few of these as wedding goblets for the Bride and Groom to do the toasts.)

Hope that explains it. If not have a look here

pete

Sorry...Captive rings are made by cutting the stem part way and then making the ring. You turn the wood to the outside diameter of the ring and shape it. You then cut under from both sides until the ring is released onto the stem. Fix some abrasive (sticky back is ideal) on the stem then, running the lathe, you can clean up the inside of the ring. In this case I made two small ones that stay on the stem. The third was made and sanded lthe same way but larger and then cracked across the grain so the join wouldn't show, threaded through two of the rings, one on each goblet, glued back together with CA glue and sanded back to hide the join. You can get a tool to do the rings or, if you are clever it can be done with a skew. (I have the tool as it's quicker, easier and I do a fair few of these as wedding goblets for the Bride and Groom to do the toasts.)

Hope that explains it. If not have a look here

pete

Pete had a idea how the rings on the stems were done. Just coun't figure out how you got the one to hold the two together. thanks now i think i got it.

Pete,
If you had added a couple of links, the couple could have done the intertwined elbows and drank for the cups attached.... my first wife's 90 year old grand father and his young 79 year old bride (he remarried just before we married) used to do that at every occasion... :D