ice storm?

Frank Fusco

:eek: There was a TV mention of an ice storm coming this week to our part of the country. Other sources indicate temps will stay too high for that to happen. But, just the words are scary considering what we went through last January. We are fairly well prepared, bigger generator, food, heat, etc.
Still haven't gotten last storm wood all picked up yet. If it hits, it will be Wednesday. Stay tuned. I'm going to test run the generator now.

Well, if things go from west to east, we are just starting to get a nice little snow storm today that's supposed to last a few days or so. Probably not much accumulation for me, but in the mountains I heard they might get a couple of feet...

It was just a year ago that we had "the" ice storm. We were one of the lucky ones. We were only without power for 7 days.
Generator ran like a champ. kept the fridge, sump pump, and a few lights going. We are on a well so there was no water. The gas top stove worked and the only heat was the propane gas log I has just put in a few months before the storm.
It was 3 days before a path was made on our street through the fallen wires and trees so we could get to a store for bottles of water. I still had my Hummer then so I hitched up some of the fallen trees and pulled them into a field where they still sit. We had to run a hose from the sump pump into a barrel so we could collect water to flush the toilets. It was fun the first day then but it started to suck pretty quick.
Man, I hope it warms up for you Frank.

Frank,

I think we may dodge the worst of the storm here in Stone county (MO).

I think January would be better or even if it totally missed us would be fine.
A nice thick snow would be good for the deep moisture ( too old to play in the stuff)

Hang in there and put another log on the fire..

Paul

Last edited:
Paul, the forecasts show, for now, that you are probably right. But, there is still the 'maybe'. If the system shifts southerly, we could get it.
I test ran my generator yesterday. And, a good thing I did. Last time I ran it I shut down by turning off the fuel. What I neglected to do was turn off the ignition key and my battery was completely drained. Had to pull start. Ran great then. Will run again today to make sure battery is fully charged. Also, plan to buy another 5 gal. plastic gas can and fill with (no ethanol) gasoline and put a little stabilizer in it.

We got 2-3" of snow last night and the forecast is for 8-10" more tomorrow...my dad's probably jealous, because I get to break in his new snowblower as they went to OK for an early Christmas with my brother's family...guess they are "snowbirds" now. :p

Frank, I'd take all the snow in the world over ice...hope it doesn't hit you and whoever does get it, I hope it's not a bad storm.

We got 2-3" of snow last night and the forecast is for 8-10" more tomorrow...my dad's probably jealous, because I get to break in his new snowblower as they went to OK for an early Christmas with my brother's family...guess they are "snowbirds" now. :p

Frank, I'd take all the snow in the world over ice...hope it doesn't hit you and whoever does get it, I hope it's not a bad storm.

I don't like either. But, ice can be exceedingly dangerous. If it comes, we hunker down and stay in the house.

We had some freezing from yesterday's rain. Luckily the ground was warm and most dried up before it froze last night. Had a couple of slick spots on the sidewalks when I took the dog for a walk this morning. Looks like it's time for a new battery in my wife's car (4 years old), had to run back home and jump start it. :doh:

Fruit company called, they are calling for a blizzard in Michigan so my FFA fruit is heading out tonight, should be here tomorrow. (a day early). Sounds like for most of the country, we all will be getting some nasty weather or opportunity for it, as well as a major chill down. Snow day Friday would be convenient.

just a few showers nothing to worry about jon..had 4 " saturday and it melted off mostly.. just more snow then warm up to rain showers and then back to snow its winter folks ,,it has been like this before:)

We had some snow Saturday in Knoxville while I was trying to set up my booth for the show... lasted until nearly noon, then all dried up... about mid afternoon the wind picked up and we had to watch our tents some.. naturally, I forgot my weights... they were covered in the garage storage area and out of sight - out of mind... since Saturday, it's been chilly and overcast, but no rain or snow... predicting rain for tonight.

just a few showers nothing to worry about jon..had 4 " saturday and it melted off mostly.. just more snow then warm up to rain showers and then back to snow its winter folks ,,it has been like this before:)

Yep, know that. But when you have perishable product being delivered by High School students, you worry about the road conditions and tempatures, fruit freezes easily if students are careless. Plus the worry of them being on the road. Appreciate a fruit company that looks ahead and trys to help. National Weather Service is calling for blizzard conditions Wed and Thurs in IL, IN, and maybe even you don't remember Larry. Once fruit is delivered, then hey, winter is on!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

didnt realize you were deliverun the stuff,, thought yu just was raiding the store to stock up:) used to get fruit from school kids up this way but they dont do it anymore just sell candy bars for the band and football programs and they dont get this far out or at least dont stop.. they just have there parents sell it at work.

Don't buy much fruit from the store. To much going on this year, otherwise we started a few years back making our applesauce during Christmas break (the girls and I). Usually in the fall the kitchen gets so hot making applesauce, buying from my FFA it was nice having a warm kitchen in Dec/Jan! We buy a case of navels and a case of tangelos and then take them to the basement and seperate them on newspaper so none touch, then cover them with a couple of layers of newspaper (so air doesn't move through them) and they will last a couple of months. Also while cooking the applesauce we would peel a bunch of navels and tangelos, lay the slices on cookie sheets, freeze them then put them in freezer bags and in the summer, man a frozen slice of tangelo is great to munch on!!!