Thread: Texturing & spiraling system ??

Texturing & spiraling system ??

Just a question as to the use and finish that these tools do. I have seen them in stores and have wondered what they do. How often would you use one? What type of finish do you get? Any pics to show?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Hi,
    Here is a link to Sorby that has three short videos on the tool.
    http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm#sts
    They are also on youtube but from Sorby they open in Windows Media Player and they are much easier to see clearly.

I have one and like the results. So far I have used it mainly on small items (shoe horn handles and the such). I do look forward to using it on the edges of bowls and particularly platters. On my keepable items I sanded to the final grit then used the tool. If you watch the videos it isn't too bad to get the hang of. Of course it will take a lot of practice to know exactly what the outcome will be because it will vary based upon the speed of the lathe, the speed you move the tool across the surface, and the angle the tool is held at.
    I was able to get a herringbone pattern on a handle without too much trouble.
    I don't have a pic because I give away everything I turn.
    Some I left natural, some I filled with black gesso and then wiped the excess off, one I ebonized the wood and filled with liquid gold leaf and wiped the excess off. One person at the club I go to made a box, cut the bottom out and used the tool, then reset the bottom of the box -- when the box was opened there was the pattern in the bottom of the box.
    Some people (I just may have to start) use it on the bottom of an item to add interest. Just simple “design” then use a parting tool or skew to clean up the edges.
    Mike
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson