Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - new cell phone

OT - new cell phone

Well, the old cell phone (going on 6 years old) is dying. I have Verizon service, only thing that has coverage here in the mountains of Arizona (where the world is currently turning white!)

Before I wander into the cell phone store, I'd like to have an idea what to get. Those whizzbang, tech savey, impatient 'kids' with all the latest wizardry are way too intimidating for me. I had the LG phone and it has been flawless up to now. But it is getting a bit flakey.

So, something that makes and receives calls. Loud ringer is good. Hardly ever text. Don't access the internet from it, nor do I want to. The camera proved handy on a couple of occasions, but it is not a deal breaker. Want reliability as it is my only phone - no land line. Berries belong in fruit dishes and pies - don't know about phones. LOL!

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    . Berries belong in fruit dishes and pies - don't know about phones. LOL!

Suggestions?
    Im with ya on that one Carol

I like simple too. I have a Sony Ericson that has an MP3 player and an FM radio. Comes with headphones too. Now what I really like is putting on the headphones and clip on microphone, and I can have a nice conversation with the phone 3 feet from my head. Also comes in handy when I'm out walking and want to listen to the radio. Anyway, it works for me, and the battery lasts for the better part of a week between charges.

Carol, before you go the Verizon store, check online. In my experience with Sprint, there are way more option online than in the stores.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Carol,

When I needed a new phone LOML went to the online Verison store and found out What I was elegible for. I went into the store and checked em all out. Then I came home and got the one I wanted for free on line. I got the LG Envy. I like the big screen and its easy to use 3.2 Megapixle camera. It was a 500 dollar free with aq 2 year contract. It took 3 days to get it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Carol,
    they make an updated version of what you likely have listed online for $40 w/ activation.

my kids each have to have the latest whizz-bang phones, and one which I actually Like is the Samsung Alias 2. It is one of those with the texting keypads etc, what I like about it is the well lit keypads and the nice loud ringer on it. ymmv of course.
    -Ned

If you sign the contract, they will probably give you a phone. The last one Verizon gave me was a Motorola Rival. I had asked for something "basic". Just talk was all I was interested in. Well......I'm here to tell ye....this one does everything but dance a jig....Oops, excuse me, it DOES dance a jig.
    E-mail, Internet, music, pictures, video, text, some kinda messaging, I dunno what all ... . It has a slide out thingy with keyboard. Lots more than I want or need. Upside, is you don't have to subscribe to all those things. Be careful....accidentally touching one of those very-very touchy buttons can subscribe you to expensive 'stuff' you might not want to pay for. We are in a new world.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I have Verizon and the Motorola w755 phone.
    The phone is pretty dependable, basic and inexpensive but works great. Good volume control and a camera ( I seldom use the camera)
    It has the internet stuff if you want it but I don't use it.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Carol..Verizon just called me and offered me three free $400 phones...one for each line if we sign up for another 2 years...I'll bet you are eligible too...check with your account rep
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 12-08-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling...what else

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    BTW Carol, you caN GET THE SAME DEAL i GOT IN THE STORE BUT IF YOU DO IT THROUGH the web site you don't pay sales tax..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward