OT - new cell phone

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Well, the old cell phone (going on 6 years old) is dying. I have Verizon service, only thing that has coverage here in the mountains of Arizona (where the world is currently turning white!)

Before I wander into the cell phone store, I'd like to have an idea what to get. Those whizzbang, tech savey, impatient 'kids' with all the latest wizardry are way too intimidating for me. I had the LG phone and it has been flawless up to now. But it is getting a bit flakey.

So, something that makes and receives calls. Loud ringer is good. Hardly ever text. Don't access the internet from it, nor do I want to. The camera proved handy on a couple of occasions, but it is not a deal breaker. Want reliability as it is my only phone - no land line. Berries belong in fruit dishes and pies - don't know about phones. LOL!

Suggestions?

I like simple too. I have a Sony Ericson that has an MP3 player and an FM radio. Comes with headphones too. Now what I really like is putting on the headphones and clip on microphone, and I can have a nice conversation with the phone 3 feet from my head. Also comes in handy when I'm out walking and want to listen to the radio. Anyway, it works for me, and the battery lasts for the better part of a week between charges.

Carol, before you go the Verizon store, check online. In my experience with Sprint, there are way more option online than in the stores.

Carol,

When I needed a new phone LOML went to the online Verison store and found out What I was elegible for. I went into the store and checked em all out. Then I came home and got the one I wanted for free on line. I got the LG Envy. I like the big screen and its easy to use 3.2 Megapixle camera. It was a 500 dollar free with aq 2 year contract. It took 3 days to get it.

Carol,
they make an updated version of what you likely have listed online for $40 w/ activation.

my kids each have to have the latest whizz-bang phones, and one which I actually Like is the Samsung Alias 2. It is one of those with the texting keypads etc, what I like about it is the well lit keypads and the nice loud ringer on it. ymmv of course.

If you sign the contract, they will probably give you a phone. The last one Verizon gave me was a Motorola Rival. I had asked for something "basic". Just talk was all I was interested in. Well......I'm here to tell ye....this one does everything but dance a jig....Oops, excuse me, it DOES dance a jig.
E-mail, Internet, music, pictures, video, text, some kinda messaging, I dunno what all :dunno:... . It has a slide out thingy with keyboard. Lots more than I want or need. Upside, is you don't have to subscribe to all those things. Be careful....accidentally touching one of those very-very touchy buttons can subscribe you to expensive 'stuff' you might not want to pay for. We are in a new world.

I have Verizon and the Motorola w755 phone.
The phone is pretty dependable, basic and inexpensive but works great. Good volume control and a camera ( I seldom use the camera)
It has the internet stuff if you want it but I don't use it.

Carol..Verizon just called me and offered me three free $400 phones...one for each line if we sign up for another 2 years...I'll bet you are eligible too...check with your account rep

Last edited:
Hi Carol,

Funny just bought a cell phone yesterday as i seem to have lost mine. Wife and I just finished off our last contract and were due for for new phones anyways. We walked in to the store here ( telus) with no idea what we were looking for. Just wanted a phone that was not going to cost us a thing up front and something simple. Only had a few to choose from. We have had issues with the batteries before so that was a concern for us. We looked at the smaller ones and settled on one of the more fancy ones with the bells and whistles, the LG Voyager. Not saying i will ever use text messaging or anything like that but it was big enough that I will not loose it. When we got home the kids (techno geeks) were excited and said that these phones are great phones with fantastic batteries and the best ones that you can get. I am hard of hearing so the incoming volume is an issue and I can hear everything with this phone. Hands free capabilities for the phone too and a memory card so that I can load 1 gig of pictures or music into the phone. Not sayin I would but it is capable of it and it comes with a down load cable for direct connection to the PC. We have been playing with them figuring everything out and these are great phones. Big :thumb::thumb:

I keep my contact list (phone numbers) on Outlook so I wanted a phone that would allow me to sync my contact list between the phone and Outlook. Wound up with a phone with a touch screen, running Microsoft mobile. So far, I've been very satisfied.

I think it was no charge but a two year commitment.

Mike

Mine died recently also, I replaced it with the Sony Ericsson C905a, All the phones will make phone calls and do all the other things, but the deal clincher for me on this one was the 8 megapixel camera, the best I could find on any other was 3.2 megapixel.

Been very pleased so far.
Dan

Update:

Been snowed in, w/o power, listening to 50+ mph winds, and no Internet! Monday was a big storm day for Arizona. The power was restored by Tuesday evening. Got down to 45 in the house. Candles provide a little light but even less heat! Internet came back an hour or so ago. They finally plowed the road around lunch time today. It has been in the 'teens. For many of you that is no big deal. For here it is almost unheard of.

So far the phone is hanging in. I am more than eligible for a new phone from Verizon. I have had the LG for 6 six years and it has served me well. I am inclined to get that brand again, but I am checking out the others than you all have suggested. There is a cell phone battery review on cnet. My reception is often on the fringey edge so the phone eats battery power trying to stay connected.

Anyone have suggested for a phone model that has exceptional reception in a poor reception area?

Carol
Did you ever think of getting an external antenna and or an amplifier..?

If you have phones in the house you can also set the cell up in the area of the house and use a system called "Dock and Talk: to use your regular house phones thru the stationary cell phone..

I don't use them but have a friend near Kansas City that uses the Dock and Talk as the only house phone system for several years now and really likes it..
Garry

Man, that is cold for that part of Arizona. :eek: (For some reason, I thought you were closer to Pinetop, but you're still on the Mogollon Rim, aren't you?)

...Anyone have suggested for a phone model that has exceptional reception in a poor reception area?

I hear these have pretty good reception...

rotary-phone.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) :D