Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V groove in log?

V groove in log?

Hello fellow woodworkers, I have a problem that has been causing me many sleepless nights. I have a vacation home with rustic furnishings. I have used pine logs and made everything from gun racks to end tables, beds, etc My problem.....I am wanting to build a standard dresser but on the edges of the front I want to use pine logs or limbs wrapping around the front and sides of the dresser from top to bottom. I need to cut a 90 degree V notch down the length of the log. Now keep in mind, there are many short stubs sticking out from the shaved log and the the logs are not always straight. The only thing I can think of is slicing the log in half with a bandsaw then cutting one of the peices in half again then gluing the half and 1/4 peice back together. forming the V groove but this would leave an unsightly glue joint. I'm open to all suggestions and ideas. Thanks in advance.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Yadon't happen to have a picture of the log doya. it might make it easier to figure somthing out.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

take and attach something to the end of the log to make it square. that can be removed later, run the saw down one side at 45 degrees and then run it down the other side at 45 degrees. that will give you your notch .. then dismantle your temporary ends or sides that were there just for the justification of your log.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

were it me, i would leave the logs alone. i would have the 4 straightest for the legs, cut dadoes for the side and back panels, then use mortise and tenon joints to put everything together for the frame.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

How about using a chain saw, cut halfway through, rotate and finish the v?

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

I think a sled as Larry suggests is the safest option. That's how I'd tackle that cut.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    take and attach something to the end of the log to make it square. that can be removed later, run the saw down one side at 45 degrees and then run it down the other side at 45 degrees. that will give you your notch .. then dismantle your temporary ends or sides that were there just for the justification of your log.
    I would go for Larry's suggestion, having in mind that depending on how crooked or stubs the log has the depth of the groove will not be equal along its length, and this will affect the fitting of the drawer fronts
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Last edited by John Bartley; 12-04-2010 at 01:12 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I would go for Larry's suggestion, having in mind that depending on how crooked or stubs the log has the depth of the groove will not be equal along its length, and this will affect the fitting of the drawer fronts
    I was thinking a sled also but figured that if I could see a picture I'd know better how it would work
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

hey thats ok Don you can have first dibs on the prize
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!