Thread: Recent repair and restoration

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Recent repair and restoration

This piece belongs to an antique dealer I do some work for. She bought it back east and came in with the leg broken off. I should have taken a picture of it while it was broken. When I examined the piece in the shop I could see where someone had attempted to repair it in the past. I centerdrilled the leg and put a dowel in then I glued the leg back on. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg 1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	40010After the glue dried I filled in the crack and sanded the piece to where the crack wouldn't show. Then I color matched the stain using transfast dye.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1207091559.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	40008 Put a coat of finish on and good as new.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinate.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	40009
    It may not look like it in the picture but the color match is perfect. There is no finish on it in the second picture and the dye dries dull.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-07-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Another save by Don

What do you use for filler?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Another save by Don

What do you use for filler?
    Mostly sawdust mixed with glue. Since I've been doing a lot of maple for the commision It have an abundance of maple sawdust...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I think the customer will be pleased, she thaught the piece was a total loss.

If she thought the piece was a total loss is she the one that broke the leg? Either way, you did good again!!! I really enjoy seeing the repairs you do on stuff as it isn't a band aid thing, you make it as good or better than new and I greatly respect that!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Nice Job Don.

Good Job Don, she must be a happy customer.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I just delivered the piece and she couldn't have been happier. She's has an antique (late 1800's ) secretary that needs some work. It is a gorguos piece. I'll post pictures of it when I do the work. The last piece I did for her she said sold in 5 days and she more then doubled her money. I told her I must not have charged he enough..