Recent repair and restoration

Don Baer

Staff member
This piece belongs to an antique dealer I do some work for. She bought it back east and came in with the leg broken off. I should have taken a picture of it while it was broken. When I examined the piece in the shop I could see where someone had attempted to repair it in the past. I centerdrilled the leg and put a dowel in then I glued the leg back on. leg 1.jpgAfter the glue dried I filled in the crack and sanded the piece to where the crack wouldn't show. Then I color matched the stain using transfast dye.1207091559.jpg Put a coat of finish on and good as new.cabinate.jpg
It may not look like it in the picture but the color match is perfect. There is no finish on it in the second picture and the dye dries dull.

Last edited:
If she thought the piece was a total loss is she the one that broke the leg? Either way, you did good again!!! I really enjoy seeing the repairs you do on stuff as it isn't a band aid thing, you make it as good or better than new and I greatly respect that!!!

I just delivered the piece and she couldn't have been happier. She's has an antique (late 1800's ) secretary that needs some work. It is a gorguos piece. I'll post pictures of it when I do the work. The last piece I did for her she said sold in 5 days and she more then doubled her money. I told her I must not have charged he enough..:rofl: