Thread: I hate to ask this....

Santa Claus, In

I hate to ask this....

How long do your normally keep an end grain cutting board clamped up? It is in a warm environment. I am thinking about 8 hours.

Secondly, how much should one charge for a board like Wood Whisperer's? I am thinking $35 range.

Reason I ask the last, is I am making some for gifts and neighbor lady seen them and wants some made. Hence the reason for the glue up times.

Delton, Michigan
    havnt made a end grain board but have glued up a fair amount of panels and a hour is sufficient enough to run threw a drum sander or a shaper or router least i have had luck to do so..if you can leave them over night you definatly safe...priceing will have to come form others here.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Austin, Texas
    With most PVA glue - the yellow wood glue - the clamps can come off after an hour or so, but the full strength isn't achieved until 24 hours or more.

I take the clamps off to go on to another piece, but don't consider the joint dry and strong until the next day - and the moisture won't be out for several days, so (in other situations) don't sand for several days, or a low area will appear as the moisture dries from the glue if you sand flat too soon.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at

Oliver Springs, TN
    I've sold a few end grain boards and I usually charge in the 35 dollar range depending on the size. Most I have made are usually between 9.5 to 13 inches wide and 15 to 18 inches long.

I've made one in a weekend before. I started early Saturday and got the first glue up done. I then cut it and did the second glue up late that afternoon. I let it set over night and most of the second day and finished it late Sunday afternoon. I don't like doing it this way but it was a rush job. As far as I know it's still holding up.

Santa Claus, In
    Thanks for the advise. I figured I was a little long on the time.

Bradford, Vermont
    If it's really well fitted... it doesn't actually need clamping at ALL. You CAN make a rubbed joint with PVA, and its' every bit as strong & thin as a clamped joint. Very often stronger, even, since there's little risk of glue starvation in a rubbed joint.

That's if it's really well fitted & true.
    -- Tim --