Thread: Choosing a slider?

Dennison, MN

Choosing a slider?

I know, not another thread about which is better. I'll try and be brief.

I've found that I'm in need of a sliding compound mitre saw more and more often. With that being said there are only a few options out there that even seem remotely worth purchasing.

I'm looking at either the Makita 7-1/2", or the Hitachi 8-1/2" model. My question actually is how important is it to have a saw that bevel cuts to the right? I can't actually think of a reason off the top of my head, but these are the only two that offer small blades, which for a whole list of reasons other than vertical capacity are so much better than a larger blade.

I've used both, but I'm leaning towards the Makita. After doing nothing for most of the year, and all of the sudden being busy the last few months I need to either spend some money or lose it to uncle sam.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I have had the Dewalt 8 1/2" for 3 or 4 years and love it. Never had a touch of trouble with it.
    The only complaint I have with any of these saws is that its almost impossible to have an efficient dust collection system work with it. I have a shop vac connected to the saws dust chute and my DC connected to a 14" square hood behind the saw and I'm lucky if I get 60% of the dust.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Delton, Michigan
    havnt used a small version of the makita just a ten inch slider model and it was the smoothest operating saw i had used. but i do have a solid non sliding hitachi that gets regular shop use and was on the job site prior to that and is still going strong.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Santa Claus, In
    Another vote for the DeWalt 8 1/2" (DW712). Packed full of features for it's size. Dust collection, well, there just ain't none.

If you have a bunch of $ to spend. Festool Kapex?

I have owned two Bosch CSMS....add the compound miter guage finder thingy and you are all set. This is from both shop and field experience, I am sold on Bosch for life.

new york city burbs
    I recently purchased the makita 10 inch. Its a beautiful thing.

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    My Hitachi CF8B is about 20 years old, and has been virtually bulletproof. Most reliable tool I've ever owned. Had to re-alighn it - ONCE - about five years ago. Wore out two sets of motor brushes, and other than that it's received no maintenance. It just goes and goes.
    Jim D.