Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daughter freezing

daughter freezing

My daughter's apartment complex lost it's heat last night due to a break in a gas main. No heat in her apartment. Overnight cold about minus 15 degrees. City said they couldn't fix until this a.m. Hope they are working on it right now. Haven't talked to her yet, hope she is OK. Her dogs too.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

That's NASTY.

Does she have an electric stove/oven she can use for a little supplementary heat?

Fortunately, an apartment complex is inherently far more heat-efficient than a single house because five of the six walls abut other apartments. Much less heat loss that way. A single house may never reach 32 (F) indoors, even with outside temperatures well below zero, so with luck her apartment was survivable.

For next time... it wouldn't hurt for her to have an electric milkhouse heater, and a means of hanging blankets over the windows.
    -- Tim --

Thats mighty chilly. Lets hope the pipes don't freeze.

Isn't it unusual for temps to go that low in Arkansas?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Thats mighty chilly. Lets hope the pipes don't freeze.

Isn't it unusual for temps to go that low in Arkansas?
    I didn't say where. She lives in Colorado Springs. BRrrrr.........

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Just heard from her.
    The heat just got fixed and apartment is trying to warm up from 43 degrees to comfortable. That is a lot better than the minus outside.

tell her to remember that 43 degrees the next time she watches the movie apollo 13. that's about what the temperature was in the command and lunar modules on the 3 day trip back to earth, and no winter coats...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

If you still have electricity, a surprising amount of heat can be produced simply by turning on every electronic item you own. Running at full tilt, my desktop computer guzzles over 700W, making it an effective space heater.

When I was in college in Indiana it got cold enough one night to cause our entire campus to loose power (small college.) Why? The temperatures dropped so low that power lines were actually shrinking enough to snap. Trucks were stuck on I-70 because the diesel was gelling. Our dorm was built like apartments and it got pretty darn cold pretty quick. We went into town and walked around the mall to stay warm and got something to eat since the food service could only serve a limited menu. The main classroom buildings stayed reasonably warm due to mass, but were too dark to do much.

Sure do like having a woodstove. No matter what happens [unless it burns the house down] we stay warm.

No power Monday night, Went to bed early as I couldn't get the computer to work, even by candlelight... What the hey? Must be a virus...

Today the wind will blow icicles up your skirt... Glad I don't wear a Kilt...

I do believe winter has finally arrived