daughter freezing

Frank Fusco

My daughter's apartment complex lost it's heat last night due to a break in a gas main. No heat in her apartment. Overnight cold about minus 15 degrees. City said they couldn't fix until this a.m. Hope they are working on it right now. Haven't talked to her yet, hope she is OK. Her dogs too.

That's NASTY.

Does she have an electric stove/oven she can use for a little supplementary heat?

Fortunately, an apartment complex is inherently far more heat-efficient than a single house because five of the six walls abut other apartments. Much less heat loss that way. A single house may never reach 32 (F) indoors, even with outside temperatures well below zero, so with luck her apartment was survivable.

For next time... it wouldn't hurt for her to have an electric milkhouse heater, and a means of hanging blankets over the windows.

tell her to remember that 43 degrees the next time she watches the movie apollo 13. that's about what the temperature was in the command and lunar modules on the 3 day trip back to earth, and no winter coats...

If you still have electricity, a surprising amount of heat can be produced simply by turning on every electronic item you own. Running at full tilt, my desktop computer guzzles over 700W, making it an effective space heater.

When I was in college in Indiana it got cold enough one night to cause our entire campus to loose power (small college.) Why? The temperatures dropped so low that power lines were actually shrinking enough to snap. Trucks were stuck on I-70 because the diesel was gelling. Our dorm was built like apartments and it got pretty darn cold pretty quick. We went into town and walked around the mall to stay warm and got something to eat since the food service could only serve a limited menu. The main classroom buildings stayed reasonably warm due to mass, but were too dark to do much.

No power Monday night, Went to bed early as I couldn't get the computer to work, even by candlelight... What the hey? Must be a virus...

Today the wind will blow icicles up your skirt... Glad I don't wear a Kilt...

I do believe winter has finally arrived

Glad to hear your daughter's on her way to being warm again. It's been cold even in SoCal. Tuesday afternoon I was loading up my pickup and I still had ice in the bed from the night before. We very seldom get frost here, let alone hard-frozen standing water.

I just got home and read a post on facebook from my daughter, back in western New York. She said it was about 26 degrees and the wind had been howling @ as high as 60 mph. Of course, tree limbs falling on power lines, which are down now, so, no power + no heat (even the pellet stove needs electricity), no water (on a well), no sump pump (ground water is pretty high), no computer (her post was from earlier this morning). I'd let her use my generator, but it's a bit far to run the cord.

Not good. I used to live right accross the road from where she is now, so I know what that is like and am glad to be where I am now.

Hope everyone else is coping with this weather OK.

Aloha, Tony

Glad to hear your daughter's on her way to being warm again. It's been cold even in SoCal. Tuesday afternoon I was loading up my pickup and I still had ice in the bed from the night before. We very seldom get frost here, let alone hard-frozen standing water.

She had to abandon the apartment and go to a friends. Outside got down to minus 20 that night.
In a home, like ours, and with outdoor primitive camping skills she (we) is/are oddly unprepared for living in a city. Personally, I would be very uncomfortable not being able to fall back on outdoor skills for survival. At home, I can always shoot a squirrel with a .22 for food. Or a deer with my flintlock rifle. Or trap a possum to eat. (Hey! It's survival)
I rebel at the idea of total dependence on others. But, these days I must face the reality that before long I will be really old and total dependence on others will be a fact of life.

But, these days I must face the reality that before long I will be really old and total dependence on others will be a fact of life.

My dog got a squirrel a couple of days ago, and apart from being sorry he killed it, I was glad he could get his own dinner if need be. Frank, have you eaten squirrel? We've got lots of them, but they don't exactly whet my appetite. I know some locals that say squirrel stew is tasty though.

As for the quote, bear in mind Frank, that dependence is not an eventuality. It may happen, but it certainly may not. I've known many who live into their 80s and sometimes beyond, independently.

Cold here in The Pacific Northwest too, We're having a warming trend at the moment, it's up to 24 degrees right now. the picture was yesterday morning.

Attachments

• Temp.00.jpg
    Temp.00.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 19
My dog got a squirrel a couple of days ago, and apart from being sorry he killed it, I was glad he could get his own dinner if need be. Frank, have you eaten squirrel? We've got lots of them, but they don't exactly whet my appetite. I know some locals that say squirrel stew is tasty though.

As for the quote, bear in mind Frank, that dependence is not an eventuality. It may happen, but it certainly may not. I've known many who live into their 80s and sometimes beyond, independently.

Same here, Ken. This is a retirement community. I see everything. But, reality is that by mid-80s a high percentage of folks need help of some kind.
Yes, I have eaten squirrel. It is OK. Young ones fry up nice. I have never learned to skin them properly. I usually pull the meat right off the bones while skinning, it doesn't separate like other animals. But, if need be, I could survive on them.