Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few more turnings

a few more turnings

Just a couple of things i have been working on in the past couple of days. The mushroom is just a use of a chunk of scrap. Just had it going around in my head and had to try to make one. Still have some carving to do.
    The bowl is an old fir beam from a gym. Started out as a bowl and the glue let go when it was being turned. Quite the surprise. The train is just a gift for my step dad ( he loves trains). Done in maple and I might make one for myself out of cherry. Thanks for looking, Comments and critisisms welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bowl 011.JPG   A few turnings 001.JPG   A few turnings 003.JPG   A few turnings 004.JPG   A few turnings 006.JPG  

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

i like the train best of all, but there seems to be something missing...
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i like the train best of all, but there seems to be something missing...
    Hey Dan it is still a work in progress. I have been having some issues with the stain on the maple. slight variations in the colour. Not really evident in the picture. All the wood is more or less from the same board and I have had to resand a few pieces a couple of times and then re stain to get the same shade. A real pain in the you know what. That is why I said I will do cherry on the next one.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

All are nice but the train is really cool. I bet he is going to really like it.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great looking pieces Drew especially the train.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very cool. Drew. The locomotive is gonna blow your step dad away.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks guys who doesn't like trains? we have a train called the day liner that runs through our community twice a day heading up and down island. Love the sound of the whistle as it passes through. I would love to get the plans for this train.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Manwaring.htm

Drew you giving Allen some competition here on the production side. I did not think you would get to that train so quickly.

I think you should have poste the items separately that way the shroom would have got its just deserves. The train shines above all else when you have a bunch of boys viewing

I like the mushroom and the train wow what can we say you might be having trouble with the stain but i aint seen anything of this kind posted in our spinny section before. At least no trains unless they were off another site.

You sure mastered that new lathe of yours.

Would have been nice to have you take us all along on the journey of making it. The good the bad and the ugly. Maybe you would consider that for the next one Eh!
    cheers

They are all good Drew, but I just love the fir beam glue up plate/platter, that is really cool!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Wow, great work Drew. I like that mushroom and the train is a real eye catcher.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault