Which scraper to buy?

Tom Baugues

I was given some Christmas money and thought I would buy a new scraper. I'm just learning to turn bowls so my question is which one to buy? What is your favorite type and size for bowls up to 12". I'm looking at this Benjamin's Best 1" round nose from Penn State. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX120.html is there some reason to look at something else and do most of you use more than one?

Tom

Tom, in my opinion, the thicker the better when it comes to scrapers. Thinner ones tend to vibrate or chatter for me. I started with the 1" Benjamin's Best scraper (as part of this set) but eventually moved up to this Henry Taylor Kryo model in the 1 1/4" size. It's quite a bit thicker, and has considerably fewer problems with chatter and vibration for me. It's also a lot more expensive, so if you're on a tight budget, the Benjamin's Best models are probably your best bet. The non-Kryo Henry Taylor scrapers are also good (perhaps better than the Benjamin's Best), but they are almost as expensive as the Kryo versions that hold their edge (burr, actually) better.

I primarily use two scrapers...the radius point version I linked to above gets used on the insides, and a 1" square point (don't recall the brand) gets used on the outsides of pieces. I also have a Thompson square point scraper that I still haven't put in a handle. It's square point right now, but I may decide to put a radius of some sort on it when I put make a handle for it.

I'll add my voice to the "thicker is better" din - I've got a number of thinner scrapers, but BOY is my 1/2"-thick Sorby scraper nice to use!

I've got a 1/2" x 1/2" Henry Taylor Kryo that's a real hoss, but I tend to use it only on tighter curves due to its width. I'd like to have one that thick and about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide. Talk about chatter-free. :)

This is the one I use and it works very well. Sorby RS 200 KT
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12954
Hartville has it on sale right now.
Since no specs were given I measured mine 3/4 inch wide, 1/2 in thich (the main bar).
Different profiles on the scraper and has the hollower and box cutter also.
Like the "heafty-ones" others mentioned it greatly reduces chatter and I have no problem with it 3 -4 inches over the tool rest.
Mike

I will quadruple, quintuple, sextuple the thicker is better refrain.

I don't turn as many bowls as I used to but I have a 1/2" thick by 1 1/2" side round nosed scraper for the interior of bowls that is a wonderful tool but sometimes I have to get the wife to help me lift it up....:D

For the exterior I have a radiused 3/8" thick by 1 3/8" wide scraper.

Scrapers are finesse tools and take practice to use correctly. They also need to be sharp. Probably the best thing I ever did was put a secondary bevel on the top to make them negative rake. That little bevel on the top really works.