Thread: Solar power coming to a store near you

Solar power coming to a store near you

Interesting story, I'm all for solar, but got a kick out of the quote made by the CEO

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091210/...e/us_diy_solar

The rectangular panels retail at $893 a piece.

"People might want to put up one, see if it works. Then with their next paycheck, they may buy four more," Cinnamon said."

His paycheck is obviously larger than mine.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Doesn't sound like he has much faith in his own product.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The cost of solar is prohibitive for most individuals - until they can drop it a heck of a lot, there's really not much point.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    In parts of arizona the utilities are installing solar on some homes and all that is reqired is the home owener lease the equiptment at a payment equivilant to 2/3 of the energy they save. Not avaiable in my area, I wish it was.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I think Ontario has a good solution to solar. We have recently legislated the rates you will get paid for electricity you feed back to the grid. So its now possible to do the economic payback math and for companies and individuals to evaluate the merits of the system.

I know of one company that is located in Ontario with a subsidary in France that produces the silicon and panels. They have just announced a whole new venture to establish an end user orientated division of their company to push this further.

I still think our cost of power in our homes is too cheap to make people move to a green solution but i would do it for a different reason if i had cash. I would prefer to be independent and not reliant on the state to provide me with these facilities.

Price will drop as volume increases just like all other tech stuff. They are already way cheaper than they were when i first got involved with them at Philips back in 1980. Then it was special projects only that had to have solar power.

Its chicken and egg again. Someone has to break the mold i guess.
    cheers

Lets see. I would need 20 panels at 800.00 ea plus 3 or 4 grand for installation. My monthly electric bill is currently around $125....That would take about 13 years to payback.
    Not including regular maintenance and repair plus having to rip it all down and replace it because this guy went out of business and the new stuff doesn't fit the old stuff.
    I think I'll wait for the cold fusion generator that Ronco is coming out with in time for Christmas.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Lets see. I would need 20 panels at 800.00 ea plus 3 or 4 grand for installation. My monthly electric bill is currently around $125....That would take about 13 years to payback.
    Not including regular maintenance and repair plus having to rip it all down and replace it because this guy went out of business and the new stuff doesn't fit the old stuff.
    I think I'll wait for the cold fusion generator that Ronco is coming out with in time for Christmas.
    Ya didn't factor in the fact that 13 years after the initial outlay, you're just about due to replace every piece of the entire system... AGAIN. You did it once at seven years. The batteries aren't "forever", the panels aren't "forever", and the charger isn't "forever". Seven years is about what you can count on before replacing everything from soup to nuts.

You get to keep the wire, though.
    -- Tim --