Tenon Jig

Do I really need a store bought tenon jig?

Saturday I am go to pick up a mortiser. Been waiting on Harbor Freight forever and it's time. If they don't have one by then I am going to get a Delta. I have been looking at tenon jigs and just can't make my mind up as to if it is a good investment. Seen a couple good jigs I can build, so why get a manufactured one? Someone make my mind up for me...

I would make your own to tet your interest/use. If you use it a lot for a large number of different cuts, an adjustable model might be worth the money to you. Even some of the better ones are pretty crude when it comes to repeatability and fine adjustment.

I have the Rockler/Jet/Powermatic one. Got it on sale for around $50 IIRC and it has served me well. I don't know that I would pay $100 for one; I would make a nice one myself (there are some nice plans out there as you mentioned) for that much dough. Prior to getting my commercial one I just used a scrap assembly that rode the fence of my tablesaw.

You might want to build one instead. Check this out. THe first video clip is the trailer. I have the DVD and I think this is a pretty nice jig for tenoning on the table saw.

Do I really need a store bought tenon jig?

Saturday I am go to pick up a mortiser. Been waiting on Harbor Freight forever and it's time. If they don't have one by then I am going to get a Delta. ...

Steve,
Just got the latest Harbor Freight flyer in the mail, the mortiser is on sale for $124.99. says sale ends January 4th. If you don't already have one, I can email you a 15% off coupon to use on it.

Dan

Attachments

• Mortiser.01.jpg
    Mortiser.01.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Well I think I will just build for now. Dave that video looked great. Have you built the jig?

I haven't built it yet but then I haven't had time to do any woodworking for awhile. When I do build on, though, this is the one I'll build.

I don't remember if the trailer shows it but he's worked out a way to take into account the saw kerf without using a kerf spacer. The original version of the jig required a spacer for the saw kerf and one for the thickness of the tenon. Now you only use a spacer for the thickness of the tenon.

Hey Steve,
Thanks for asking this question- I've been going back and forth on buying a tenoning jig too.

Dave,
Thanks for the link- I plunked down the money so we'll see if it's as good as it sounds.

Charlie

Dan, thanks for the offer. The problem is I can't get one in stock. I could order on line I guess. But would rather see it in person. Manage at HF says it could be after the new year before they get anymore in.

Will go to Woodcraft in the morning and look over the Deltas. See what happens.

No Worries Steve, that's the mortiser I got when it was on sale last year, with the sale and coupon I got out the door under $100. been really pleased with the performance.

Will a store bought tenon jig even fit on a Ryobi? I didn't think it would. If not, or if money is an issue, just make one.
00060-1.jpg