Wood Orientation Question

In furniture design, we're taught to always put the "cathedrals" upward to bring the eye upward on the furniture. I'm building a low cabinet and am using veneer on the sides. I bookmatched the veneer. When I looked at the sides after veneering, I was conflicted as to which way to orient the sides.

Look at the two pictures and tell me which way you'd choose to orient the wood picture 1 or picture 2. I made a choice but I want to see what others think.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• Cabinets-01b.jpg
    Cabinets-01b.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Cabinets-02b.jpg
    Cabinets-02b.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 68
In my opinion, for a low cabinet, I would pick number 1...for a wall hanging or top cabinet, I would pick number 2.... So, since you did say it was a low cabinet, I would choose the first one as it draws the eye upward.

i would go with two because it looks to be like alot of the legs you see on furniture smaller at the bottom and then larger at the top.. and yu could argue that he cathedrals are going the right way in part of it..very nice veneer though:thumb::thumb:

I'd have to go with #2, but do you have a drawing of what your building? Are there any ornate items on it that may conflict with the "eyes"?
I have a project to do three set of cabinets. I finished one set and you can see it on my web page (first picture).

The panel I showed is for the side of the lower cabinet. It will sit on a base and there will be a larger cabinet sitting on top of it.

Mike

I'm assuming some legs to raise it off the floor and say #1. If I picture a top on #2 it is too busy right before the top piece for me.

I chose number 1, also, but I had to think about it quite a bit. My final analysis is that the bullseyes on the panel seems to be "weighty" so I wanted that at the bottom. If I were to put those at the top, it seems to be unbalanced.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It appears that the choice was not something that would easily go one way.

Mike

I agree with Roger's opinion on it, which in turn agreed with Mike's decision. :thumb: That's some real pretty wood, Mike.