Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Award winner in Baxter County......

Award winner in Baxter County......

......but not braggin' material.
    Wednesday night, actually early in the morning, we had a fellow earn a Darwin award for 2009 and his girlfriend also competed but didn't quite (yet) win one.
    What happened was, they, and another friend, at 5 a.m. drove to the top of a cliff, named White Bluff, over the White River. It is a couple hundred feet high and straight down. At the bottom is a ledge with railroad tracks, below that the river.
    Now, get this, the temperature was about 20 degrees, wind was blowing 40 mph and both were wearing summer weight clothes. No coats.
    One guy and the girl tried climbing down. Their only assistance were previously consumed quantities of alcohol and who knows what else.
    Both fell. The guy died and won his award. The girl landed on the railroad tracks and is now in intensive care in a hospital.
    The other guy drove for help.
    The incident is being investigated. Methinks, wats to investigate?

p.s. the pic is not the White Bluff but very similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ar-poi-buffalo-national-river-af.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Ya look 'em in the eye, and can see the back of their head!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Frank, In Michigan's upper peninsula there is usually a few fatalities involving people who try yo drive their snowmobiles across a deep channel before it completely ices over. The locals call it the "law of natural selection" Sounds Like your cliffs serve the same purpose.

By the way, Those cliffs look awesomely beautiful. I might just have to come see them sometime. I prefer the view from the bottom.

hey paul we need more channels and maybe a few cliffs to help thin out the flock.. in the days of old there other means to stop this influx of stupidity
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Frank, In Michigan's upper peninsula there is usually a few fatalities involving people who try yo drive their snowmobiles across a deep channel before it completely ices over. The locals call it the "law of natural selection" Sounds Like your cliffs serve the same purpose.

By the way, Those cliffs look awesomely beautiful. I might just have to come see them sometime. I prefer the view from the bottom.
    Both the White and Buffalo rivers are very beautiful.
    The Buff is famous for canoe floating, I took my grandsons camping and floating last summer.
    The White is famous for trout fishing.
    Lots of other great natural attractions around as well.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    The incident is being investigated. Methinks, wats to investigate?
    Well... the whole thing is unclear enough, so far they only have the version given by the guy who looked for help, or so I think if one died and the girl is in intensive care.

Two men, a woman, the tipycal triangle, one knows about the infidelity of the girl with other guy thanks to have a loose tongue due to have been drinking, he who is not as drunk or drunk at all on rage attack pushes the other guy down , and after him the girl as well, after all she is also guilty, no witnesses left.

Call me suspicios but I would investigate as well,
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

that's not a darwin award frank, that's just nature weeding out the stupid
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    that's not a darwin award frank, that's just nature weeding out the stupid
    That's was a Darwin award is for. Survival of those other than the stupidest.

Frank,

Real beautiful and we all have our share of "STUPID" .

Awhile back I talked to you about a carver at the State Park in Mt. View.

His name is Bubba and he lives at Sylamore creek 100 yards N. on 14 @ juct. of 14 and 5. Nice guy I got some really nice wood from him.

We really like the Campgrounds at Sylamore creek with very similar ledges/cliffs --- 200 yards from the White river.

paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Well... the whole thing is unclear enough, so far they only have the version given by the guy who looked for help, or so I think if one died and the girl is in intensive care.

Two men, a woman, the tipycal triangle, one knows about the infidelity of the girl with other guy thanks to have a loose tongue due to have been drinking, he who is not as drunk or drunk at all on rage attack pushes the other guy down , and after him the girl as well, after all she is also guilty, no witnesses left.

Call me suspicios but I would investigate as well,
    Toni, PM sent.