8" Bench grinder advice

I've heard the arguments for the 6", but I don't buy them, as your wheel will soon be under 6", I vote for the 8" slow speed, and the Oneway balancing system is a must, as well as better wheels than what come with most cheap 8" grinders.

If you can swing it, an 8" slow speed Baldor grinder is the way to go, but they are not cheap, they are good.

Cheers!

I have seen it argued, and I agree, that a mimimal amount of hollowing is best for WW tools. I needed a couple new wheels for an old motor I used for sharpening. But, I saw the WoodCraft 8" slow on sale for $99.00 and got it. Great item and same money as two wheels by themselves. Some say fast is cooler. I can't fathom the reasoning and go with slow.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004605/19002/8-Slow-Speed-Grinder.aspx

The conventional wisdom is to go with an eight inch. Stu is right. The wheels will soon be less. Nearly every accomplished turner I have ever hear speak on the issue, recommends an 8 inch. I am learning that sharpening is a finesse thing. A light touch, but often. A consistent grind for consistent results. And a really, really sharp edge. Like Stu's day with Garrett Hack and what he learned about the sharpness of hand planes. Same applies to turning tools.

Not to steal your thread, but yesterday I picked up an 8" slow speed grinder at Woodcraft for $110 and an 8" diamond wheel for way more than that. I am trying to learn how to do the elegant finals that Cindy Drozda does. The crisp details and the eighth inch (or less) of the stems take a very light touch to remove material or they break. That calls for a very sharp tool. Along with my Wolverine, my 'sharpening station' is now worth more than my mini lathe! I had been using a 6 inch high speed grinder. I put 8" wheels on it but thet meant removing the wheel guards. That always bothered me. SO that grind will be restored to its 6" configuration and use for 'rough' grinding. In fact, one side will get a steel brush. Always found that useful for removing a bit of rust while buffing my fingernails! :eek:

i wasnt sayun i was right just what i had seen here and i also mentioned that the turners had other thoughts and 8" was a slow speed prefernce.... now what is this one way balancing system??? sorry for stepping on your toes :eek: should have consulted first..or asked permission.

I am not saying you were wrong, sorry if it came across that way, no permission needed, no toes stepped on, nor any consultation necessary, you were passing along info, which is what makes this place go round, thanks for that :thumb:

I was offering up what works for me and my opinion, I'm not saying I'm any more "right" than you or anyone else :)

I do know some pro turners who like the 6" wheels and some even like the 7" wheels. OneWay suggests that their tools be sharpened by the higher speed grinders, that the slow ones are not needed :dunno:

I think the main thing is to get a system set up that works for you and to use it.

Carol, I'd be interested in hearing about the diamond stone, they are pricey for sure, but they certainly do look interesting.

Cheers!:wave:

I'm voting 8" MINIMUM, preferably larger. If 8", HIGH speed because steel likes to be ground at high speed better than it likes to be ground at low speed, and the higher the speed the finer the "effective grit" of the wheel (you can use a coarser wheel to get a finer finish).

More skill is involved when you use a high-speed wheel, though, at least for carbon-steel tooling. HSS can't get burned by grinder temperatures, but it can get hot enough to hurt your pinkies. A fine, light, feathery touch is called for, along with cooling-off pauses to keep from getting the tool blazing hot. DO NOT QUENCH ANY TOOL STEEL, especially HSS! Quenching, especially in water, makes tiny surface cracks that cost you your edge. Just let it air-cool until it's comfortable to handle - only takes a moment.

i ran a poll some tie back drew and the concense was to get a 6" rather than a 8" and slow speed was there choice for a 8" the 6" has a more curvature which develops a better bevel on flat edges and the turnes well i dont know there desires other than a wolverine jig for your grinder to get your lathe tools sharpened right.

Larry, I really hate disagreeing with ye. Your recollection puzzled me so I looked it up.
Seems the preference runs to 8" and slow.
We will never git 100% agreement on anything, everyone will agree to that. :huh:;)
Personally, I prefer the 8" and slow with a 120 grit.
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12084

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I went down to our local saw sharpening store where they have a huge selection of grinders. I was only looking for the 8 inch grinder as I already have 2, 6 inch grinders ( one slow speed one regular) that are great for sharpening chisels and plane blades but are just not big enough for the lathe tools. I saw slow speed grinders with water trays (heard they are messy), I looked at Delta and a Dewalt, Then saw the variable speed Delta and the Same one almost from Steel city. The difference between the two was subtle in grinder rest size and the wheels that came with them. Steel city looked like it was built better with a larger tool rest and better wheels. Both had goose neck lamps but the steel city came with a built in dip tray. Ok small plus's but the prices were the same. As were the warranties ( 5 yr). I don't have any Steel city tools yet, So I do now. Will post picks as soon as I open it up. here are the specs

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=6&tool=15420

Ok Pictures as promised. Too cold in the shop right now so set a spot on my desk to set it up. It comes with a buffing wheel and a diamond dresser. Pretty sweet little set up. Of course I have to take off the tool rests to use the wolverine. Will move it into the shop tonight and set it up with the wolverine tomorrwow.

Attachments

• Bench grinder 006.JPG
    Bench grinder 006.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Bench grinder 007.JPG
    Bench grinder 007.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Bench grinder 008.JPG
    Bench grinder 008.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Bench grinder 009.JPG
    Bench grinder 009.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 22
Well I have 3 6" grinders & have 1 of them set up with the wolverine.

Say who is this Larry Merlau fellow I didn't know we had anyone by that name on the turning forum.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Must be some poor lost soul trying to learn the most important thing about turning, keeping your turning tools sharp. Once he has his turning tools & learns how to keep his turning tools sharp I guess the next step will be to get a lathe.

So how much can a 8" slooow speed grinder ,wolverine, turning tools, chuck, & reasonable lathe cost anyway not to much amortized out of several wood turners pockets?????

You know if he keeps up this flat wood working crusade he will eventually fall off the edge into the abyss anyway nudge nudge...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Well got the grinder set up with the wolverine system jig today and that started the shop clean up. After all was said and done, My shop was clean again and i can actually see the work bench top and the floor, Horray!! ... (at least for a day or two:D). I then pulled all the lathe tools out and ran them all through the grinder for a tweek. Then pulled out a chunk of wood to try out the new sharp tools and WOW!! I was stunned as to the difference that slight curve change between the 6 inch and 8 inch grinder made. Really it was amazing. I am very impressed. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: