Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how are your sales recently?

how are your sales recently?

I have been selling out of an upscale art and gift gallery in a large city.
    But, last few months only lower priced items have been selling. Most are under $50.00.
    My $100.00 to $300.00 pens are going wanting for buyers.
    Are others experiencing similar sales trends?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've been selling off some very high-end speaker parts on a forum for audio DIYers...and haven't been having any success at all. A pair of $220 woofers with barely any use isn't selling at all for $180.

I bought a pair of broken el-deluxe $3,800 audiophile speakers on eBay for $500 last year, and managed to fix them via some rather tricky and convoluted repairs. (Apparently, half the parts in it don't officially exist, making finding replacements quite difficult.) They're stupendous speakers, but I'm worried I'll end up selling them for less than I paid for them!

On the other hand, things aren't all bad. A lot of folks around here work for either the hospital, the government, or the university, and their finances aren't so heavily tied to the current state of the economy. As such, one of my father's students managed to sell one of her Painting II assignments for over $2,000!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    My $100.00 to $300.00 pens are going wanting for buyers.
    Are others experiencing similar sales trends?
    as a gift item this time of year, youre targeting a very small group of people willing to spend up through 300 bucks on a pen,
    with economic times so cruddy, I think even the big spenders are watching and cutting back on higher end items.
    even with the economy crawling back a bit, most high end spenders realize how much longer its going to take to recoup their lost savings, and have to cut back some way.
    I would also think you could sell 10 40 dollar pens as easily as one 250 dollar pen.
    wow, 300 bucks, kudos to you frank to be able to get a great price like that.

I dare not compare my average customer who I sell closeout toys to this time of year. they wouldnt spend 3 dollars on a pen, but they all are looking for the lower priced items this year.
    I put a usually 8.99 branded doll on sale for 4.88 and since it meets that up to 5 dollar item, its selling like hot cakes.
    Unfortunately, the 10 dollar dolls are sitting on the shelves.
    Yes, I have very low income clientelle, but children are never neglected holiday time, and they always find a way to buy toys.
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-12-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    as a gift item this time of year, youre targeting a very small group of people willing to spend up through 300 bucks on a pen,
    with economic times so cruddy, I think even the big spenders are watching and cutting back on higher end items.
    even with the economy crawling back a bit, most high end spenders realize how much longer its going to take to recoup their lost savings, and have to cut back some way.
    I would also think you could sell 10 40 dollar pens as easily as one 250 dollar pen.
    wow, 300 bucks, kudos to you frank to be able to get a great price like that.

I dare not compare my average customer who I sell closeout toys to this time of year. they wouldnt spend 3 dollars on a pen, but they all are looking for the lower priced items this year.
    I put a usually 8.99 branded doll on sale for 4.88 and since it meets that up to 5 dollar item, its selling like hot cakes.
    Unfortunately, the 10 dollar dolls are sitting on the shelves.
    Yes, I have very low income clientelle, but children are never neglected holiday time, and they always find a way to buy toys.
    I haven't gotten my $300.00 yet. A member of a penturning forum sells a similar pen in Las Vegas for $3,000.00. I think the difference is, my customers are usually sober.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

3 grand for a pen? How many carats of diamonds does it have embedded in it?

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    3 grand for a pen? How many carats of diamonds does it have embedded in it?
    It is one very similar to this one I made and am trying to sell for $300.00. It is a faux ivory on an Emperor kit.
    As I said, his clients are frequently not sober and it IS LasVegas.
    BTW, that $300.00 is gross at the art gallery. My take is about $170.00, gross profit would be about $100.00.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emperor pen 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...My $100.00 to $300.00 pens are going wanting for buyers...
    I can't imagine anyone paying $300 for a wooden pen. Even the best pen kits have a mediocre works in them.

I didn't even pay $300 for my Montblanc fountain pen back when I was a corporate executive, and could justify it. (Signing million dollar contracts with a Bic just doesn't 'get it.')
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I tend to agree with Jim, 300 bucks is way out of my league, but Im sure there are quite alot of people who spend this kind of money.
    but I dont find it suprising in todays times, these items dont sell as well.

I did a show tonight for 5 hours. Looked like a good spot. Up scale mall. Then the rain came. Then the temperature dropped and everyone shopping went home. WE sat around and talked about our work.

Bright spot. Had two good musicians. Enjoyed their music.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

sorry to hear the show didnt turn out good sales wise bruce.
    Seems to be alot of that going around lately.