Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new Jeep. Great deal!!!

new Jeep. Great deal!!!

Jeep has just introduced a new model. It is still the familiar squarish military monster we have long loved. But this one has some new features. It is four doors and bigger. Price is only $43,000.00+ . But, for this you get: no engine , no transmission , no seats, steering wheel or most of the other things that make a car a car. Wow!
    Is this a great country, or what?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

So do you have a link the wonder of wonders?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

And we wonder why Chrysler is hurting
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    So do you have a link the wonder of wonders?
    Had one, didn't keep because I can't afford the $43M.
    Will try to find.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Actually, I'm very excited by Fiat's investment. From what I've read, the current CEO is a miracle worker: In a few years, he's managed to turn Fiat from the producer of 70s and 80s vehicular crapola we know and loathe to a producer of some surprisingly excellent cars.

One of the best of the lot is the Fiat 500. While it's technically not as good a value as the competing Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta (which should be absolutely exellent,) you have to think of it as a cheaper, better looking alternative to the Volkswagen Beetle and Mini Cooper - one we'll be seeing next year.

It will be followed shortly by the Fiat 500 Abarth, a go-faster version with stiffened suspension, racing stripes, and a turbo....which still manages to cost less than a base-model non-turbo Mini Cooper.

From what I've read, it's a very good little car - cheap, fuel-efficient, pleasant to drive, reliable, and surprisingly safe. And Fiat has plans to start building the engines right here in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shaul View Post
    .........Fiat from the producer of 70s and 80s vehicular crapola we know and loathe to a producer of some surprisingly excellent cars.
    In the 60's and early 70's FIAT did produce some fine automobiles. The 124 sport coupe and Spider were pretty fine for that era. Granted, they also produced and imported some clunkers.

Those were the days!

Tony

BTW -- how did we get from Jeep to Fiat?

Tony, BCE '75

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    In the 60's and early 70's FIAT did produce some fine automobiles. The 124 sport coupe and Spider were pretty fine for that era. Granted, they also produced and imported some clunkers.

Those were the days!

Tony

BTW -- how did we get from Jeep to Fiat?
    The Spyder? Surely you JEST, sir! I got to know that car, and never could have any measure of respect for it! It was quick, I'll grant it that... but "quick" is the end of the story.
    -- Tim --

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    The Spyder? Surely you JEST, sir! I got to know that car, and never could have any measure of respect for it! It was quick, I'll grant it that... but "quick" is the end of the story.
    Tim,
    Are you confusing the 124 Spider with the X-19 Spyder?

The 124 was a good car.

The X-19 was junk! They were also rust buckets. You could check the condition of both fron tires while sitting in the driver's seat of a two year old X-19! Basically an over-sized door stop...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Na, it was the 124. That was in... lessee... about 1979 or 1980. I'd thought it was a 'y' Spyder, but I was mistaken; it was indeed an 'i' Spider. That car was built with about the same quality as the X1/9's. NASTY. Everything was ready to break on contact.

The X1/9 was a strange little car. Even a skinny guy like me could, when he put his mind to it, lift the front end enough to move it sideways on dry pavement.
    -- Tim --

Just recalled. It wasn't a web site. I saw in an automotive magazine while waiting to get my oil changed.
    I wuz going to order one but my SS check hasn't come yet for this month.