Comparison review of seven lithium-ion drills

Cliff Holmes

My old Ryobi NiCad is dying, so I was in the market for a new drill. After reading tons of conflicting opinions, I decided to just buy seven different drills and return the ones I didn't like. Along the way, I kept lots of notes and turned them into a review, even though I still can't make up my mind. If you're also looking, maybe it'll help you.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/li-drills.html

Interesting information. Ryobi has always made good tools and been an innovator in the market.

As one who used to own a retail construction products store I am a bit bothered that you are returning used tools for credit.
Kind of like those who return generators and chain saws to the borg right after a storm. Not very nice.

Not very nice.

I agree.

You left out what I think is the best brand, Panasonic. Their Li-Ion stuff is better than $400 though. If its anything like the older 15.6v drills that I have, they're worth every penny. I can usually get three years out of one of their drill before it ends up in the dumpster.

I've got that Ridgid. They got me with the lifetime warranty, wish I had gone with something else. Most of the time it works well, but batteries don't last long and it seems to have problems with the brushes. It will act as if the battery is dead, but after a couple of tries it takes off and works well for a while. :huh::dunno:

Cliff, that is a lot of work!

I also noticed my favorite Hitachi was not in the race.

I'd like you to comment on where each drill was made?

Here in Japan we have at least two levels of tools, the DIYer level, almost exclusively made in China, and the PRO level usually still made in Japan.

The fit and finish and the quality of the materials is often quite different, but then again, so is the price.

I've been burned by the cheaper tools so many times now, that I'll wait and buy the better quality Made in Japan tools or buy a corded tool.

Even though the better tools are made in Japan, I find if you look closely, sometimes the batteries are made in China. I'm not saying that all the stuff from China is crap, not at all, but, there is a reason they moved the manufacturing to China, "PRICE" :rolleyes: :D

I've got an older Ryobi 12v that I just love, but, the batteries are dead, and getting them rebuilt is not cheap here.

Cheers!

The small engine shop I used to own did warranty repair service on Ryobi and Ridgid tools. Personally I wouldn't buy a Ryobi. They seem to be built for a price, and I hate buying junk. The Ridgid (made by the same company as Ryobi) was a much better tool, but I found them heavier than other tools.

In the cabinet shop where I hang out now I use a Makita drill and impact driver set (18volt). I've worked these two right to death, and the two guys I work with also use Makita. They have been flawless.

As far as the returns of used tools goes......as long as the retailers and manufacturers keep accepting returns for "any reason", and keep advertising that they do so, my feeling is that there's nothing wrong with the consumer taking advantage of it. The fault lies with the retailer and manufacturer for creating the situation, and in all the years that I did warranty service, I saw plenty of cases where the retailer had plenty of reason for refusing a return, but failed to do so because of either store or manufacturer policy.

cheers

John

Buying something for limited use, or just to 'try out' is simply dishonest.
And, it places a burden on the store owner, big or small.
Satisfaction guaranteed policies are great in that they give the customer confidence in the item they are purchasing and the store they are buying from. But, when one makes a purchase it is only right to keep the item unless there is a genuine problem with it.
I once owned a Sears-Roebuck store. (yes, I owned it) We took many returns, most were for honest reasons. But, there were a few who took advantage of our policy. Those customers hurt many people. In my case, it was my personal take-home profit and the level of pay for my employees. It definitely made an impact. Those who returned for legitimate reasons were good customers who came back time and again to make other purchases.