Thread: Tool gloat - Steel City - with pics

Tool gloat - Steel City - with pics

The jointer on our combo Hitachi jointer-planer hasn't been feeling too well lately, so LOML decided that it was time to put it out of its misery. Besides, it was SO LOUD!!! So we have acquired....

One Steel City 15" planer
    and
    One Steel City 6" wedge bed jointer--long bed

Attachment 3639

Attachment 3640

Attachment 3641

And proud papa with his new toyls:
    Attachment 3642

The planer came home before Christmas, but the jointer arrived just yesterday (Friday) after several weeks of waiting, tracing, waiting, tracking, waiting, anticipation, waiting.... you get the picture.

Both came out of the crates in fine shape - good finish, good workmanship. The jointer had to be assembled, which took all of about an hour - the hardest part was getting the fence square to the bed. Now to get the DC hooked up to both. Both already have sawdust on them and they really are good machines. We are pleased.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Nice Nancy! I like the solid outfeeds on the planer. It looks a lot like my Grizzly 1021 with the exception of the outfeeds.

They are on my shopping list as well. The bandsaw is awesome so far. Have you checked into the availablity of Byrd heads for either of them?

Steve Clardy Guest
    Looks great Nancy.

How long is the jointer bed?

nice set of toys

you can see the glow in his eyes nancy, it was niceof you to let him get them, havent got any of there tools ye,t but the guys i had a chance to talk with at a show, were very sharp, they knew what they had and not just selling a tool.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Steve:

The bed is 68". More than I think I will need but then........it's big enough for my wife to lay down on.

Brent.

I am looking at the Woodtek indexable carbide cutterheads as I have had great experiences with them. I'm not too hot on throw-away knives. Carbide is the way to go.

Dave
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 01-21-2007 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Spelling!!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I had one problem with the planer, which was a dead battery for the digital height gauge. I called their 800 number "Scott" answered the phone and got me a set of two batteries and then included a new readout module. By the way, the Scott who answered the phone is Scott Box, president of the company. With him willing to answer phones and customer questions tells me a lot about whom I am dealing with and their integrity. I think I may have to spend some more money with Steel City!

Dave
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 01-21-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Hubby can't spell very well--nor type either
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com

Congrats Dave and Nancy! Nice looking tools! And it's really nice that the people that run the company didn't bring all the old ways from their other companies with them!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Congrats to both of you on the new tools. I've seen nothing but good stuff about the Steel City tools, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of good use out of them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

congratulations on the nw tools you guys! please give us an update after you`ve abused `em a bit ......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]