Tool gloat - Steel City - with pics

Nancy Laird

The jointer on our combo Hitachi jointer-planer hasn't been feeling too well lately, so LOML decided that it was time to put it out of its misery. Besides, it was SO LOUD!!! So we have acquired....

One Steel City 15" planer
and
One Steel City 6" wedge bed jointer--long bed

MVC-001S (450 x 600).jpg

MVC-005S (450 x 600).jpg

MVC-006S (600 x 450).jpg

And proud papa with his new toyls:
MVC-008S (450 x 600).jpg

The planer came home before Christmas, but the jointer arrived just yesterday (Friday) after several weeks of waiting, tracing, waiting, tracking, waiting, anticipation, waiting.... you get the picture.

Both came out of the crates in fine shape - good finish, good workmanship. The jointer had to be assembled, which took all of about an hour - the hardest part was getting the fence square to the bed. Now to get the DC hooked up to both. Both already have sawdust on them and they really are good machines. We are pleased.

Nancy

They are on my shopping list as well. The bandsaw is awesome so far. Have you checked into the availablity of Byrd heads for either of them?

nice set of toys

you can see the glow in his eyes nancy, it was niceof you to let him get them, havent got any of there tools ye,t but the guys i had a chance to talk with at a show, were very sharp, they knew what they had and not just selling a tool.

Steve:

The bed is 68". More than I think I will need but then........it's big enough for my wife to lay down on.

Brent.

I am looking at the Woodtek indexable carbide cutterheads as I have had great experiences with them. I'm not too hot on throw-away knives. Carbide is the way to go.

Dave

Last edited:
I had one problem with the planer, which was a dead battery for the digital height gauge. I called their 800 number "Scott" answered the phone and got me a set of two batteries and then included a new readout module. :thumb: By the way, the Scott who answered the phone is Scott Box, president of the company. With him willing to answer phones and customer questions tells me a lot about whom I am dealing with and their integrity. I think I may have to spend some more money with Steel City!:D :D :D

Dave

Last edited:
Congrats to both of you on the new tools. I've seen nothing but good stuff about the Steel City tools, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of good use out of them. :thumb: