Getting To Know My Lie-Nielsen #62

Stuart Ablett

Since I got given the lovely plane, I've been working on getting it really sharp, and using it to make piles of shavings :D

I have a very nice straight grained piece of pine, that is lovely to plane, very good for setting up the plane to perform well.

Using the 15x jewelers loupe, I've been quite surprised at how bad the blade looked when I thought it was "Sharp", after a fair bit of time and a lot of sharpening and work on how I hold the blade and how I move it, I'm am able to get the blade sharp, not as good as it may be one day, but sharper by far than what I considered sharp just a short while ago :eek:

I planed off some super fine shavings the other night........
thin_full_shavings_LN_62_a.jpg thin_full_shavings_LN_62_b.jpg
........ these are full width, full length shavings, and that reads out at 0.025mm or about 0.0009843" or just very near "1 mil".

I know this is not really "Using" the plane, like on a project, but that is OK, I'm just learning how to tweak it and get it to run nice, it sure is a nice plane, and I hope to be able to add a few more from Lie-Nielsen in the future.

I think I'd get the No. 4 1/2 next.

Cheers!

Stu am enjoying your "sharpening" journey. Keep up the posts. Just want to give you a heads up on something you probably already know, but that LN 62 makes a great shooting board plane.

I had my eye on that plane when Garrett said they were up for sale :rolleyes:. Glad that it went to a good home :thumb:. Here is a good shooting board design if you are interested.

http://www.whitemountdesign.com/ShootingBoard.htm

If your going to put an order in for a 41/2 maybe we can go in together and share the shipping. I think Sugita-San is also interested in getting something.

Last edited:
Alex, it won't happen until next year, but I'll keep you in the loop, I'm also looking at a new blade from my regular Bailey #4, as hard as I try, I can't get a really sharp edge to last for any time at all on the blade I have. Now on the Stanley Sweet Heart #5C that I have, with the laminated blade, I can get a really sharp edge that really lasts a long time. I might spring for a new chipbreaker for that one, if it fits.

Cheers!