Island in the Stream

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

Very long story very short, all the distractions are now gone, and I'm back at it.

First up: the temporary island. It was so temporary it's been there 4 1/2 years! Ouch! :doh:

It's three cabinets, with two pieces of 3/4" ply on top. So an inch and a half of counter thickness, covered with formica. 78"x36". Hole cut in the top for the gas range, plus one for the fan. Electrical up through the floor, and gas as well from the floor, with a six inch hole through the floor and out the basement wall to vent the fan. The top is just sitting on the cabinets, which are not well tied together (face frames aren't even screwed together). Did I mention it was temporary? :rofl:

The new one will be two (new) pieces of 3/4" ply, plus 1/2" of cement board. Topped with the blue talavera tile we used on the counter, trimmed with curly maple to match the counter. new size is 40"x90". One cabinet will be shifted over (from the refrigerator side to the entry side), but the main cabinet (where the stove is) will stay in the same place.

Here are some pics of the existing island.

Thanks,

Bill

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

ok we see your island... but your side stepping the earlier asked question...how did the pens turn out??? and it looks like you need to put some drawer frnts on the sink base before you worry about the island.. the gobblins can get out of the sink base right now:)

ok we see your island... but your side stepping the earlier asked question...how did the pens turn out???

Thanks, Larry. Actually, I got so many messages from people saying "Don't bother, just buy a pen" that I got discouraged and didn't even try.

I was making a picture frame for commemorative photos for his going away present as well. It was snowing pretty good that day. And just as I was making the splines, and doing a final pass through the planer with the spline stock, a snow covered tree fell on the power lines.

Doorlink came out and said "What did you do this time?" I said, "It's not me, I was just running the planer!" It took a while to convince her... ;)

So there I was, at the party, empty-handed: no pen, no frame, nothing. Had to do a big speech instead... :huh:

oh, well...

Thanks,

Bill

Y'know I'm getting reallllll tired of seeing people replace or "upgrade" kitchen cabinets that look way better than the junk my wife and I are living with. :bang:

Yes, Bill, even with that big chip in the formica by that corner. :p

well art,, as long as yu dont let your better half see what they are doing she will never know:) and i am not sure we gettin the striaght skinny on this pen and frame story????:huh::huh: but he is one of the big whigs so we cant doubt him to much can we???

Yes, Bill, even with that big chip in the formica by that corner. :p

Art,

Alas, that's no chip! When I made that thing, I had no idea what I was doing. I used a jigsaw to round the corners. of course, the blade deflected a little, so that when I used a flush trim bit to trim the formica it 'trimmed' the face. I'm such a doofus. :doh: :bang:

Larry, I'll be sure to send pics of the half finished frame! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

hey Art,,, i think bill has some sight problems:eek: you notice the really large print on the note on the fridge.. i can almost read it from here:)
must be his glasses need replacing or his better half wants to make sure he gets the POINT:rofl::rofl:

Island in the Stream: plywood or MDF?

Well, folks, the saga continues.

As you remember, this is actually day 365... ;) Last year, I bought two pieces of plywood for the island top. They've been well stored all this time, but of course 'on edge'. They just aren't perfect anymore, both have a slight bow. I can use them for other projects, but I need new ones for this.

The question I have is should I use plywood, or go with MDF? It will have cement board on top, plus morter, etc, so I'm not sure water will really be an issue. The benefit? They'd be flat as heck. And rigid, once they're glued together. The disadvantage? If they got wet, that would be it.

Plywood has the opposite problem. No worries about water, but never truly flat. What say you all?

Don't forget I'm going to have some 15 to 18 inch overhangs, and I can't use columns out at the edge. I'm going to have to do some kind of triangular support on the underside.

There *is* good news: I've got enough tile left over from the countertops to easily do the island (although for an hour or two yesterday it looked iffy...)

Also, I'd really like to attach this to the floor, but the floor is rough ceramic tile. The present one is just sitting there, and with teenage boys in the house it's been bumped a few times. Any thoughts for attachment strategies?

Thanks,

Bill

Well, folks, the saga continues.

Also, I'd really like to attach this to the floor, but the floor is rough ceramic tile. The present one is just sitting there, and with teenage boys in the house it's been bumped a few times. Any thoughts for attachment strategies?

Thanks,

Bill

I would use tapcons or drill through the tile and screw into the floor, If you didn't want to mess up the tile then a good construction adhesive should work. Just a thought:dunno: