makita slider-blade cover isnt going up

allen levine

Been doing alot of bevel and mitre cuts, and today the cover stopped going up all the way, had to hold it up so it didnt interfere with cuts.
I just spent approx one hour with my son taking off cover and looking over all the parts, and could not figure it out unless something fell off.
The flat rod that pushes it on machine itself looks completely intact and is moving freely and seems to be moving correct distance.
The piece on cover seems to be too far away and contact is not made until halfway down, therefore the cover doesnt lift enough.
Any suggestions?
(I need the blade cover, removing it is not an option for me)

was out there again playing with the spring, doesnt seem to make much of a difference.Only thing I can figure out is the arm that pushes the cover up, might have had a piece on the end of it, extending it another 1/2 inch or so, and maybe that fell off? Im going to the dealer in the morning, with the cover, hopefully hell have one on display so I can look inside of it, if not, hell have to fix it.

There is an arm inside the saw cover that pushes the plastic plastic blade cover off the blade as you push down to mitre cut.
The end of that arm isnt making contact with the covers mechanism until 3/4 inch or so, so the cover isnt lifting enough.
Arm looks in tact, unless something was at the end of it pushing the blade cover's mechanism.
Its 8am EST, Im headed over to the tool guy shortly. I want to see if he has one on display, so I can look underneath it.

frustrated

I went to my tool guy.
dont want to bad mouth anyone, so lets see when the part comes in, its a 15 dollar part, seems it got jammed.
I dont recall doing anything that could have done that yesterday. I could be wrong.
I just want it fixed.

Last edited:
Did you cut any small pieces that could have been caught by the blade and shot backwards? That could have broken a part or misaligned something. There are a bunch of makita chop saws at school and most of them you have to move the guard up with your thumb as you lower the saw becasuse the guards bind

did you change the blade, on my dewalt you have to adjust the guard mechanism to get to the arbor nut.

sorry, edited, dont think this is the proper time for me to complain about something that hasnt been taken care of yet.

eric-I dont think the blade guard should be an obstacle, having to hold with your thumb means its not working well.
I havent changed a blade yet.

Last edited: