Pair of Squares

Don Orr

I made these Bocote squares recently for a couple of forum exchanges. They are 5" square and finished with danish oil, buffed and waxed. One of them is for this forum. Only Santa knows who will be getting which one:D

Attachments

• Pair of Squares2.jpg
    Pair of Squares2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 98
Don,

I'm sure you usually do pretty good work. But I don't really think those are 'square'. They look kind of wavy on the sides and almost like it's dished out in the middle. :huh:

Tell you what, why don't you just send those pieces to me and go back to the drawing board and work on making things 'square'. I'm sure your recipients will understand... :eek:

HA! But seriously, those look awesome. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Do they start out square? Or do you trim them up after turning?

You might ought to look into a refund on that lumber there, Don. Those boards warped something fierce. :eek:

Both of 'em look stunning. There are gonna be a couple of very happy exchange recipients pretty soon. :thumb:

Thanks Folks

I appreciate the nice comments.

These little bowls start out as square blanks about 5" x 5" and about 2" thick. I bought them that size a few years ago when I only had a mini lathe. They actually have a little birdseye in them.

Tony

Those are really beatifull Don, I've never worked Bocote wood, is it hard or soft, with tame grain or wild?

Bocote is fairly hard and dense. The grain seems fairly tame. It turns easily as it is a little oily or waxy. I did not get shavings, just dust. Pretty wood though. Thanks for your input.

Bocote is fairly hard and dense. The grain seems fairly tame. It turns easily as it is a little oily or waxy. I did not get shavings, just dust. Pretty wood though. Thanks for your input.

Looks like a beatiful wood to make a plane from, (apart from other things of course!)

I made these Bocote squares recently for a couple of forum exchanges. They are 5" square and finished with danish oil, buffed and waxed. One of them is for this forum. Only Santa knows who will be getting which one:D

Don,
Those are great... Bocote is one of my favorite woods to turn... it has such great grain markings... it's getting more difficult to find around here... my regular wood source didn't have any the last time I was up that way... I'd like to find a block big enough to do a peppermill from...

Those two bowls are spectacular!:thumb:

Looks like a beatiful wood to make a plane from, (apart from other things of course!)

Toni,
Another name for Bocote is Mexican Rosewood... like Don said it turns easily and is a little oily... an oil finish has difficulty drying because of the oil... you can just buff the wood with a carnuba wax and get a soft sheen on it.

Not to hi-jack Don's thread, but here are a couple of pieces I've done in Bocote...not as nice as Don's square bowls though..

I really like those... I can just see my knuckles after trying a couple of them..:rofl:

Attachments

• 10-434.JPG
    10-434.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 10-434-2.JPG
    10-434-2.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 37-488.JPG
    37-488.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 37-487.JPG
    37-487.JPG