Inlaid Cutting Boards

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here are two of three cutting boards I've made recently with a lot of help from Pete Simmons and his laser inlay skills. I had someone inquire about buying a similar kokopelli board, but I didn't have one in stock, so we made three. They are made from curly maple, walnut, cherry, and purple heart, with mahogany inlays. Sanded to 600 grit and soaked with my standard plain ol' mineral oil. A quick shot of Howard Feed N Wax, and they were done. Sorry the pics aren't the best...I was in a hurry and didn't get out the photo rig.

Kokopelli II - 03 800.jpg Kokopelli II - 01 800.jpg Kokopelli II - 02 800.jpg

We did one left-hand model and two right-hand models. The left-hand one sold, so the remaining two will travel to the shows with me until they're sold. I just planed, cut, glued, planed, and sanded some boards. Pete did all the hard parts by handling the inlay. Thanks again, Pete. :thumb:

these are superb! should sell quick if you are going in that direction - should make the owner very proud.. not sure that I would cut on them too pretty -- I think I would just display them in a very viewable spot!

paul

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous.

Very display worthy. I'm sure the recipients of those would have to think long and hard before cutting on them...

Those are great Vaughn and Pete:thumb::thumb::thumb: just love cutting boards that are made with curlie maple :D HUMMMM........ I think I had better squeak one out for the LOML for X-mas. Wonder if I have time:huh: AH LARRY, I may need some wide belt sanding time:D:D:D

Beautiful and unique. :thumb:
I had the same thought that they are almost too nice to use for cutting.

I agree. My son make some curlie Jarrah boards for some friends and they wouldn't use them either, I just told them to pick the side they like best and that is the "show" side, and flip it over for the "cut" side:)

Laser Work

You know when I did the laser work I wanted to put a little oil on them just to see how they look. I knew they were going to be nice. And yes they are a wow!

The laser works kinda like this -

1. I use the laser to eat the shapes out of the board down to about 0.050

2. I cut the shaped pieces out of maybe 0.080 thick stock. The laser enables this to be done very accuartly.

3. I glue the pieces in place, let cure for an hour or so then sand down with 150 paper.

Vaughn takes it from there.

Nice work Vaughn

Over the years Vaughn and I have done a few inlay projects. They are all very special pieces to their owners. A few of these people I see from time to time and they always mention this work.

These are very nice cutting boards, too nice to use.

Inlays this precise and beautiful lend themselves to all kinds of possibilities. I can imagine seasonal boards and trays with inlaid season greetings and decorations.

You do nice work on your cutting boards, Vaughn.