Flat Work - Glass

Ted Calver

Staff member
Our family room, where we spend most of our time, has nice south facing windows but little privacy from the neighbors. This is the first of several stained glass windows on my honey do list to help alleviate the problem--while keeping the orchids happy. Inspired by some windows my son-in-law was restoring from a house built in 1923 in Moore, Oklahoma. Prairie style I guess. 28" x 37" with hand ground 1/4" glue chip beveled glass perimeter and 1/4" beveled clear center elements with dichroic highlights. Framed in walnut and attached to the window so it doesn't interfere with opening. My first window--took me a week. I hope the other five go faster

Attachments

• DSC05051-C.jpg
    DSC05051-C.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC05046-C.jpg
    DSC05046-C.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 53
Great job Ted! Are they leaded or foil method? I finally got my stained glass back from storage and am trying to get in the swing of doing some again. I've got a couple of accounts with suppliers. I was surprised to see how much 60/40 solder has gone up. I last bought 10 rolls at $1.50 each, cheapest I could find was about $13 each now. :eek:

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration

Beautiful work Ted....

The orchids are beauties also... they seem to enhance each other i.e glass and Orchids...

thanks for the photos...

I love stained glass windows Ted and i particularly like your style. Sure must make that window more interesting to pass by. I think its a great hobby to make these windows. :thumb:

Great work Ted. I dabble in stained glass as well though use the foil method currently. I seriously need to work on my soldering technique. I figure once I get that down I will move on to learning the came method... already have some projects planned for that ;)

nice work ted,, i love stained glass windows.. and yours are no exception.. up in my parts all the churches used to have them now they are mostly gone.. art needs to be supported in all varietys..

Very, very impressive work! Congratulations!:thumb:

After making five of those you'll be a master on the technique, maybe you could put up a tutorial for the tutorial section. I'm pretty sure it would get a lot of followers from the family.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. This was literally my first window and I enjoyed the process very much. I fear I've been drawn into yet another vortex :)