Grinding wheel for old Foley Belsaw Sharpall?

Jim Evatt

Bought this thing for $55.00, but it needs diamond wheel for carbide sharpening. Could someone that has one of these units tell me what and where to get fairly good quality one at a decent price? Thanks in advance.

Old Woodie

They don't appear to be available from Belsaw (http://belsaw.com/) any more... so we'll hafta' punt. How do they mount? I'm SURE for SURE that we can find you a wheel that'll work right. Do they mount to a straight arbor like a bench grinder? Or do they have a steel hub/mounting plate with four bolt holes? Three? Is it a straight wheel or a cup wheel? Got a good idea what shape & size it's supposed to be? Pictures may help...

Re: Dimensions of grinding wheel

Thanks for your reply!
The dimensions: 8"x1/2"x1/2" and it mounts on shaft w/o bolts. It does have a metal flange. Diameter of hole is 1/2". I assume that one of those 1/2" listed on the lable is for the hole diameter. It doesn't look like it has provisions for wet grinding either. By the way, Foley Belsaw does have one in stock at only $160.00! I bought this thing to play with and to see if I could help a few people out while making some "eating out money". It will sharpen up to 14" blades, so I probably could use a little smaller diameter if necessary. Thanks for the encouragement!

Old Woodie

Diamond wheels are built a little differently from bench-grinder wheels - there's usually a thin surface of diamond on one surface, but noplace else. Are these "rectangular" wheels (as seen from the rim), shaped like bench-grinder wheels, or cup-shaped wheels, or some other shape?

The abrasive surface - is that on the rim like a tire, or on one side of the wheel like a whitewall?

The three dimensions should be diameter x thickness x centerhole, by the way. :)

Yeah, we'll get ya there! :)

Tim,

The wheel is a 1/2" and it looks like it was being used on the sides. It is a solid abrasive wheel. It looks like when it was new, it was 1/2" with straight sides. I believe that the wheel would make contact with the saw blade on the wheel's side.

I wonder if I can get a operating manual from Foley Belsaw or maybe I will look at owwm to see what kind of paper they have. Thanks for trying to help me!
Old Woodie

Ok - lemme look at my sources for a moment. Worst case - even if we can't find a diamond wheel you like for price - you can use a green (silicon carbide) wheel for grinding tungsten-carbide tooling. THEM we KNOW we can get, hey? :) :) :)

EDIT: MAN. Four hunnert BUCKS. With a 1-1/2" center hole, not a 1/2", so it begs an adaptor. Let's talk silicon-carbide, shall we? That's what I run on my carbide-tool grinder...

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken it runs way too fast for diamond....

I don't think they ever sold diamond for it. I have one and never even considered trying diamond....

Garry

Oh and they still want 1500 dollars for the unit...

Last edited:
Sharpener

Garry,

Belsaw customer service told me that they have a diamond wheel for that machine, and it has a 1/2" hole. Cost: $160.00. He also said that it will not sharpen the straight teeth, but they do not get dull anyway, and also that it will not straighten the sides of the teeth. May be a lost cause looking for a place to land!

Garry,

Belsaw customer service told me that they have a diamond wheel for that machine, and it has a 1/2" hole. Cost: $160.00. He also said that it will not sharpen the straight teeth, but they do not get dull anyway, and also that it will not straighten the sides of the teeth. May be a lost cause looking for a place to land!

Well I had went thru the poorly set up site with a fine tooth comb and missed it. I did find a small one for the left side....

I gave 100 for my grind all which in hind site was to much.....

Garry