Fridays here again so whacha got planned

Don Baer

Staff member
I'll be in the shop. I got one project I just haveta get done for delivery be4 christmas. Bother in law and his wife are comming up from Tucson today, LOML's gonna fix prime Rib for dinner. They'll go back sometime tomarrow.
So what are yall gonna do this last weekend before Christmas.

let's see, basking in the glory of the moderate success of the craft show the last 2 days, doing the motor transplant on the drill press, resting, plotting, and planning items to make, and showing up at don's for dinner... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Leaving in the a.m. for Christmas in Colorado with our daughter. We will stop one night in a small town motel in Kansas where the aroma of feed lots fills the air. We will be back in time for New Years. Will check back here a couple times today, but after that will spend minimal time on the 'puter. :type:
Merry Christmas, y'all.

My daughter has a christmas program tonight. Tomorrow I WILL finish some bottle stoppers for gifts, probably some shopping and then out to celebrate a some friends anniversary. Sunday I hope to clean the garage a little so I can get back in there to do some work again. :rolleyes:

I work tomorrow morning, off at noon. LOML driving a dog to west texas to hand off, so will be gone all day, which means I have dog duty during the afternoon for the remaining 6. The way I feel today, I doubt I'll be in the shop much. Sinus drainage has my throat all torn up. Want to clean up some and move the contractor saw to it's new position, turn the dust port on it 90 degrees clockwise, and plumb it back in. We'll see if I feel good enough to do that or not. Jim.

Saw a simple Shaker inspired shelf unit that could be modified to fit an annoying shaped spot in LOML's bath/vanity area. I may try to knock it out over the weekend and give it as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. Beyond that, wrap the last few gifts and start on a couple new items . . . have to pick . . . hmm.

I was going to do my last Holiday Market in downtown K'ville, but from the looks of the weather, think I might stay home and just hibernate... it's raining now and predicted to rain through Sunday or maybe turn to heavy wet snow tomorrow and Sunday..

Sunday there's FOOTBALL!

Edit: Woke up this morning to overcast but clear day... almost wish I hadn't canceled the show for today...only almost though.. prediction is for mid afternoon rain and snow mix.... They got slammed on the north side of Knoxville and eastward, but nothing our way - YET.

There's still FOOTBALL tomorrow.

Last edited:
Probably have to work all weekend just to get everythign at work buttoned up so I can take a little time off next week. :rolleyes: The new boss doesn't like people carrying over vacation, so I either have to take it or lose it. The irony of working all weekend before I go on vacation is not lost on me.

Hopefully after that I'll be able to get the camper ready to do a little trip and after that I'll do some work on my vast list of unfinished projects.

Grand daughters bed is all made just gotta start the finishing. While its drying I'll start the highchair for my other granddaughter. I was going to use maple but will use cherry instead. (just because I don't have any maple).
I've played around with making a few pens for the first time.
Will probably try a few more.

House wise I need to get ready for the coming snow storm here in NJ. Put the plow stakes along the driveway and empty my side of the garage so my car can pull in. The garage has been a mess since we remodeled the kid's room and not all the furniture went back into the rooms.

After that I'm going to attempt to turn my first pen at home. I built a jig last night to help drill out blanks. I drilled out a blank and glued in the tubes last night.

My wife wants to learn to turn. We got some bottle stoppers and blanks and a bunch of pen blanks and pen kits. I'll let my 10 year old son teacher her :rofl: I apparantly am not that good an instructor. Something about micro-managing. :dunno:

Cheers

Jim

Last edited:
Don you had to ask :rofl:

I pulled out at 3 AM this morning and arrived at Wall Mart at 4:40 am, PICKED UP SOME HAND AND FOOT WARMER PACKETS. THANK GOD FOR Wally's WORLD! for a few hours of hunting before I was to pick up my son for the holidays from school in Va.

I know you all are getting tired of hearing about my hunts. But to say I had a good hunt would be an understatement. On Stand at 5:15 waiting for light. 2 yearling came across the field at 1st light with I could see, Then 4 doe's crossed. After that 3 more and I look to my right and see 2 doe's and a buck in pursuit. At 150-170 yards heart shot with 50 cal knight DISC down in 45. I sat for a good half hour and 3 doe's and a tall 4 point came out and I took a shot at one of the doe's ........hit a branch DOOO! I decided to go check the kill out. I get there and one half rack, one side busted off already DOOO! I walk to the van drive back dress him out and look down the field and 2 doe's were under my stand. I put the deer in the van and looked back down 4 more entered the field but they all left quick with they saw me get my gun out. So I drive out of the field and up the hedge how and I see a doe about 100 yards out I get out layed the gun against the door and fired. Miss, I go and check out the site and a big trench was dug in the ground. I returned to the van pull the gun out to clean and no Jag on the end of the Ram Rod UH-OH ! Turns out the Jag must have twisted off in the rifle when I loaded it. Big Mistake. I learned a lesson today. Check your stuff at every step. O well, I pick up Jake and on the way home not far from the farm we look over and see a White Deer feeding next to a stand of dark hunter green pines Awesome. That alone would have made my day.

Well in the morning if the mood strikes I am going to make a jig. Than around 10 I have to go see a client and get his wood and a drawing of what he keeps calling a deacons bench?? The rest of the weekend will be building that.

making cookies and watching holiday specials.... maybe a wii bowling tournament is in order

and his customer is silly and/or misinformed.... what they want is a hall tree =)

Yes dear the man maybe silly but scents he can bench press a full size chevy truck if he says it a deacons bench. That's just what it is.:rofl::rofl:

No real plans for the shop this weekend. I need to clean out the laundry and kitchen drains, but that doesn't count. Also need to unpack all my turnings and get the show stuff put back into storage for a while.

Saturday I'm planning to take LOML down to Venice Beach to do some Christmas shopping and buy one of her gifts. There's a shirt at a shop down there she wants, and she needs to pick the right size. I learned long ago to not buy her clothes or jewelry without her being there with me. :doh:

The rest of the weekend will probably be spent doing things I don't wanna do...I just don't know what they are yet. :p

I am in the shop making jerky again on Saturday. I am so happy that Jake's school let out yesterday instead of 12:30 today. We have a foot of snow now and expecting another by tomorrow. LOVING IT !

Let's see, my plans are:

• Finish up the business card holders that I made for each one of my staff as a holiday gift. All that is left to do is a little hand sanding and finishing. My dilemma is that I think they would look a lot better with a small clock inserted into them. The problem is that each clock is $10 and I need 12 of them. I realize that may not seem like much of a gift from your boss but I do work for the government, therefore it's all out of my pocket. What to do, what to do... :eek:
  • Take the urn that I just finished to the mortuary so that the remains can be placed in it. Then present it to my mom, although I feel bad about the proximity to Christmas.
  • Take the family to a good friends Christmas Party this evening.
  • Tomorrow I think I'm going to start a new project - a fly rod/reel holder (display unit?) that mounts to the wall. I've got a half dozen of each that cost a not-so-small fortune and I'd like to display them in the den. After a great deal of thought, I've finally come up with a design that I like.