stain VRS dye?

larry merlau

well i am sure this has been discussed many times and with out influx of new members. i am in the middle of a project that i wanted to finsih one way and then thought i would ask the pros in this area that we have here.. so here is the woods that are in this..

red & mineral stained QTR sawn red oak with good ray fleck
and QTR sawn white oak ply

the red stain is from almost being to the red rot stage..we got this log at the last chance for lumber..

ok,, now for the big question.. to show the ray fleck the best all around and color the wood as well, the solid wood is gonna be a touch darker than the ply panels but after doing a test run on coloring its pretty close.

the final finish is lacquer... what is gonna show the ray flecks and the wood in general the best according to you and why?

You can buy the water born tints and heat the water to let it desolve, You do the same with alcohol tints but I find water born is more forgiving when used properly. alcohol dries to fast for me. Besudes the staining is the easy part of this kind of staining. It's the prep work :rofl:

You can buy the water born tints and heat the water to let it desolve, You do the same with alcohol tints but I find water born is more forgiving when used properly. alcohol dries to fast for me. Besudes the staining is the easy part of this kind of staining. It's the prep work :rofl:

I agree with Dave, I use Tranfast and Trastint. I just heat the water in the Microwave and let the pigment desolve.

Don you would be surprised by taking a damp rag and wiping the wood drying it then 320 sand and repeating that a few times before applying the water stain how much work it will save you in the long run for a beautiful finish.