No time for a good photo

This was a rush job getting into the post to arrive for Christmas hence the even worse than normal photo.

The commission was for a rustic clock for an older couple. This is hawthorn and is 12" tall and 6" at it's widest.

I deliberately put larger numbers on it than I probably would have normally.

Pete

Attachments

• rustic hawthorn clock.jpg
    rustic hawthorn clock.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 97
The clock is round, the photo was a rush thing before packing up. It was taken from above, not face on hence the distortion

Hawthorn is one of my favourite woods. It is hard and often the branches and trunk are twisted o the grain goes all over the place but it is easy to turn. You can get a wide variation in colours as well. It is usually a hedgerow tree so you don't often get large pieces.

Pete

Trivia about Hawthorn:

On March 16, 1923, Governor Arthur M. Hyde signed a bill naming the white hawthorn blossom the official state floral emblem of Missouri. Known as the "red haw" or "white haw," the hawthorn (crateagus) is a member of the great rose family, which resembles the apple group. The hawthorn blossoms have greenish-yellow centers and form in white clusters. More than 75 species of the hawthorn grow in Missouri, particularly in the Ozarks.

Our version is usually Crataegus monogyna or Crataegus oxyacantha.
and has white blossom also known as May blossom and red haws that can be used as a food. It is usually about 20' maximum height but as it is used a lot in hedges most of it is cut lower than that. It has a fine grained timber light to mid brown in colour. A grain structure reminiscent of Yew but with a workability similar to fruit woods. It can also have reddish marks in it and the grain can be twisted when used a s a hedge as it often gets covered in ivy which will force the branches into all sorts of shapes

Pete

Thanks Pete -- I enjoy working with wood that I know something about.

Of course being a Plant Taxonomist may have something to do with that.. :D

I used to help people tell what wood they were working with but most of the time they wanted to argue about the wood id. So I quit -- I relate this to me telling my dentist that I do not have caries when the x-rays show I do.