Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Pen!

My First Pen!

Hello:

I've posted here before about how the woodturning vortex has slowly drawn me in (with a push from my wife . . . )

I purchased some pen supplies last week at the local Woodcraft.

Picture 1 is the jig I made a few night's ago to help me drill out the blanks on my drill press. It works pretty well. It's a little too tall so the blank needs to sit on a scrap of wood.

I then glued in the tubes and eventually used the end mill to cut the ends of the blanks flush to the tubes.

I then assembled everything on the mandrel and started turning. I didn't quite get the blank turned to perfectly match the bushings, but I'll do better on the next pen. The Decorative ring is proud of the cap and the transition from the pen cone at the front to the body is rough.

Picture 2 is the finished pen. It's a Woodcraft European Pen in Gold with what is supposed to be mahogany wood.

I did find one thing interesting - the hole on the pen clip which the cap is supposed to fit through is WAY TOO SMALL. I had to drill it out to make it fit - which was a PITA. Is that normal for the Woodcraft kits? All of the Euro kits I bought are the same.

Cheers

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5153 (Medium).jpg   DSCF5150 (Medium).jpg  

Jim,

Beautiful first pen! Much better than my first pen.

I usually will just use my pen press to insert the top through the tight holes in pen clip.

Again...very nice first pen!
    Ken
    ------

Jim,

Some of the Euro kits have the rounded end cap bushing screwed into the end cap in the package. This unscrews so the clip ring goes between them.

Chuck : DOH!

You are correct - the cap has a threaded insert. That makes a lot of sense . . .

I didn't see that in the instructions - it's there - I just didn't see it.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited by John Bartley; 12-04-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Just make sure that you make yourself one you really like. I've ended up giving away all my 'good' ones and I end up using the 'factory seconds'
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

you did good on that first one jim. it gets easier as time goes on.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

well done -- more more more -- photos are great
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

mazel tov!

as soon as your friends and relatives get a peek at one,youll be a busy man.

Iíve made 27 pens. Iíve given away 22. When my bro and his wife and my sis-n-law and boyfriend come over next week, four more are gone. Iím keeping the first pen I made because it is so pathetic and a reminder how far I have come already since then. Jim, your first pen is MUCH better than my first.