Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collector filter bags.

Dust collector filter bags.

I know this has been asked and answered, but didn't come up in my search...

where would I get the cloth filter bags for a Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector...

I opened my DC closet this afternoon to find a solid cloud of dust inside the closet... my upper bag has two or 3 tears in it and I'm pumping more dust into the closet than into the catch bag. I keep a black contractor's bag in the lower bag to catch debris, but most is blowing out the tears in the upper bag.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Chuck,
    Lot of folks have replaced the upper bag with a filter. I think Vaughn is one of them.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

[SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What Tod said. I have a six foot high, 36" diameter one on my 2hp collector. It replaced the perpetually clogging filter cartridge I paid extra for when I bought my DC.

If you were closer, I'd give you the cartridge filter, but you'd be happier with an AFF bag.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    What Tod said. I have a six foot high, 36" diameter one on my 2hp collector. It replaced the perpetually clogging filter cartridge I paid extra for when I bought my DC.

If you were closer, I'd give you the cartridge filter, but you'd be happier with an AFF bag.
    Thanks guys... I knew I'd seen the contact on the web somewhere... I think my bags are 20", but will measure and see... I don't have enough height in my closet to go to 6' upper bag... my whole unit, upper and lower bags, is about 75" and because of the slope of it the closet ceiling is less than a foot over that...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    ... I think my bags are 20", but will measure and see... I don't have enough height in my closet to go to 6' upper bag... my whole unit, upper and lower bags, is about 75" and because of the slope of it the closet ceiling is less than a foot over that...
    Chuck,
    If you have the room, get a bag that flares outward to a larger diameter. That'll give you much more filtration area, and the DC will operate more effectively (flow more air).

My DC has 20" flanges, too, but AFF made the bag to 'funnel' outward to the larger diameter.

BTW, if you order a custom bag, have them put belt loops around the mounting flange. It'll make it easier to put the bag on and off if the steel band is secured to the bag. You might want some hanging loops on the top, too - depending on the bag height. I have them on mine, since it's six feet high - otherwise it'd collapse when the DC is off.

FWIW, I paid about $160 (delivered) for the custom bag, about three years ago.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks all for the quick responses.... I looked ath the AFF bags and while they're probably just what I needed, the price is a little beyond the budget... I found one, a 1 micron, on Amazon for under $40 including shipping....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Chuck, How do you like that HF dust collector? I've finally decided that I've breathed enough dust and am going to make the investment. I was surprised to find the HF 2hp dust collector under $300. A lot of the stuff at HF is cheap crap but some appears to be OK and for the price you can't go too wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Chuck, How do you like that HF dust collector? I've finally decided that I've breathed enough dust and am going to make the investment. I was surprised to find the HF 2hp dust collector under $300. A lot of the stuff at HF is cheap crap but some appears to be OK and for the price you can't go too wrong.
    I'm pleased with the operation of my HF DC... it's a 2 hp motor that has a rating of 1600 cfm on the suction...runs on 120 V... I've had my hand sucked into the mouth of the intake.. actually, the intake tube sucked up against my hand, when I got too close to it... I had a switch go out on the motor about 10 months after I got it... didn't think to look at the switch at the time and called HF about the motor being bad.... they sent me a new motor for the DC...

This is the one I have,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97869

but I think I caught a sale and got it for under $200...mine doesn't have a clear bag on the bottom... it came with two canvas (think they were 5 micron), but I put a black plastic 45 gallon contractors bag inside the lower bag to catch the debris... only have to pull the bag out and dispose of it....

If you have room or can do it, I put my DC outside my shop in a separate closet that I built onto the end of my shop... good thing to, when the upper bag developed a hole this past week, there's about 1/2 inch of dust over everything in the closet.... after I switch the bags, I'll have to blow all that dust out with the shop vac so I don't cause the motor to get clogged up and go out on me. All that dust in the shop would have been a bigger disaster than I already have.... I have a layer of dust inside the shop because I forget to turn on the DC sometimes when I'm turning or sanding....
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 12-26-2009 at 08:22 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN

Hey Dave I seen where HF is going to have an in store coupon for 25% off one day only on the 1st you might want to check that out if you are going to buy one.
    Jay